Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else not using a humidifier
Anyone else not using a humidifier
Anyone else not using a humidifier with their cpap. After 2 and a bit years I stoped using the humidifier on my Resmart cpap. I didn't notice any ill effects from giving it up and still don't use it with my Airsense 10 Autoset . I got the side panel so I haven't even installed it. I'm coming up on 4 years on cpap.
I don't notice any difference at home or even when I travel inland.
Anyway I got it if I find I need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone else not using a humidifier
I use mine on the lowest setting. I have in the past totally eliminated it during the summer months. When I travel I do not take a humidification system with me. Plan to immediately eliminate humidification if the power is out for extended time.

Never any ill effects.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I went a few years without humidity but, in the last few months went back. I had a lot of post nasal drip and I noticed that and once I started using humidity it all but disappeared.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't get a humidifier with my new (and first) machine. So far, doing fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I liked humidity, CPAP proved that wrong. Tried most levels, now I have it turned off and folded up a paper towel that I keep damp in the bottom of the chamber that provides the perfect amount of moisture for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Anyone else not using a humidifier with their cpap. After 2 and a bit years I stoped using the humidifier on my Resmart cpap. I didn't notice any ill effects from giving it up and still don't use it with my Airsense 10 Autoset . I got the side panel so I haven't even installed it. I'm coming up on 4 years on cpap.
I don't notice any difference at home or even when I travel inland.
Anyway I got it if I find I need it.

I certainly do use my heated humidifier every night, and I set it near its maximum value. I was treated without a humidifier for maybe 15 years, and when a new sleep medicine doctor insisted I have a humidifier module for the trusty old Respironics BiPAP Plus I was using then, I immediately found that I felt better, and virtually never became blocked with nasal congestion. Before going to a humidifier there were nights when I just had to sleep without my machine because I couldn't get air thru my nose.

TheDuke

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2016, 06:26 AM)Rick_V Wrote: I went a few years without humidity but, in the last few months went back. I had a lot of post nasal drip and I noticed that and once I started using humidity it all but disappeared.

x2
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first machine came without a humidifier which may be one reason why my DME called from time to time and asked if I had experienced any upper respiratory infections since the last call. Then came a different DME and a new machine plus a humidifier. After using it for a while I decided it was not helping anything so I retired that humidifier. Nearly two years ago another new DME and another machine with a humidifier. Tried the humidifier twice for a few days and back in the box it went.
Somehow I feel that I need to give the humidifier a longer trial period since I do have dry nasal passages quite often. I have used CPAP since early 2002 and have used it every night with a handful of exceptions. I think I will take another shot at using the humidifier long enough to see if I can get used to it and will post the results.

Thanks for starting this thread, there have been some interesting responses.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I stopped using the humidifier last summer while spending nights on my sailboat. The marine environment was plenty humid plus it saved power which is important at anchor running off batteries. I did not notice any ill effects so I continued to not use it throughout the fall. I liked not having to fill it and clean it plus it made travel simpler.

This all changed in winter with the use of electric heating. The relative humidity plummeted to about 20%. I quickly developed an all day rapid fire sneezing problem which at first I did not attribute to the lack of humidification. This went on for days until I finally thought about trying the humidifier again. The problem went away the first night and never recurred so I am committed to using it during the heating season. This was my first winter on cpap since I started last spring. I will soon put the humidifier aside until next winter. Hopefully soon!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 513 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.