Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone ever used a mild sedative during adjustment period?
Anyone ever used a mild sedative during adjustment period?
It seems that even when I get the leaks mostly under control, the headgear is not bothering me, the humidification is okay and I can breathe through my nose, and I've finally found a comfortable head position on my pillow, I still can't close the deal and fall asleep. One night last week I forced myself to wear my mask for four consecutive hours during the night and during that time I did doze off but only perhaps for a half hour or so, the rest of the time I was awake trying to get comfortable. Sometime I felt like I'm dropping off and then my mouth opens and whoosh! I'm alert again. I slept for a few hours without the mask on but I was a zombie all the next day, really a mess.

I'm seeing my sleep doc tomorrow and will discuss this with him . I am sensitive to medication and am still recovering from an horrendous experience of serotonin syndrome caused by starting two SSRI's at the same time 8 days ago.

Are there mild sedatives that won't worsen apnea? What about antihistamines? Therapist I'm seeing suggested Ativan but it has a warning about telling your doctor if you have breathing problems. Have any of you used some kind of sedative to help you fall asleep, at least in the beginning of using your mask? Thanks.

I still have to find the right mask. Quattro FX leaks way too much and so does Amara Full Face mask but just around my mouth. Wisp nasal mask feels too small and stuffy with the high pressures (15-25) I'm prescribed. I've had my machine three months tomorrow and I still don't have a single night of compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone ever used a mild sedative during adjustment period?
ellen1159, you may want to try Valerian which is a herb or there are a number of over the counter sleep aids you can try, you probably want something that calms you and doesn't have side effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2013, 09:43 PM)ellen1159 Wrote: It seems that even when I get the leaks mostly under control, the headgear is not bothering me, the humidification is okay and I can breathe through my nose, and I've finally found a comfortable head position on my pillow, I still can't close the deal and fall asleep. One night last week I forced myself to wear my mask for four consecutive hours during the night and during that time I did doze off but only perhaps for a half hour or so, the rest of the time I was awake trying to get comfortable. Sometime I felt like I'm dropping off and then my mouth opens and whoosh! I'm alert again. I slept for a few hours without the mask on but I was a zombie all the next day, really a mess.

I'm seeing my sleep doc tomorrow and will discuss this with him . I am sensitive to medication and am still recovering from an horrendous experience of serotonin syndrome caused by starting two SSRI's at the same time 8 days ago.

Are there mild sedatives that won't worsen apnea? What about antihistamines? Therapist I'm seeing suggested Ativan but it has a warning about telling your doctor if you have breathing problems. Have any of you used some kind of sedative to help you fall asleep, at least in the beginning of using your mask? Thanks.

I still have to find the right mask. Quattro FX leaks way too much and so does Amara Full Face mask but just around my mouth. Wisp nasal mask feels too small and stuffy with the high pressures (15-25) I'm prescribed. I've had my machine three months tomorrow and I still don't have a single night of compliance.

I suggest you discuss Ambien with your doctor. I take 5 mg just before I go to bed and I'm out in 10 minutes. That light dose wears off in about 4 hours so there's no grogginess the next morning. It doesn't knock me out so much that I won't wake up if I pull off my mask by mistake.

Like all meds there are side effects - no N3 and less REM sleep but it hasn't seemed to get in the way of my feeling better - slowly.
My doc has no problem with it. My AHI has gone from 30/hour to 1.5 and that's good.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
Saw the sleep doc this am and he was concerned for me,said the anxiety I was experiencing was obvious to him and that I needed to be on something. He's going to work with my therapist (also a prescribing APRN), who I'm seeing tomorrow. She had suggested a low dose of Ativan to take the edge off my anxiety. He said that although Ativan does tend to worsen apnea, right now I'm not getting any use of the machine so I'd be better off taking it. He also said I might try benedryl before bedtime if the Ativan doesn't help me sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take two gravol at bedtime and it helps me.
CoffeeSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I get terrible anxiety. Diazapam works really well. The SSRIs were horrible for me as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2013, 03:37 PM)ellen1159 Wrote: Saw the sleep doc this am and he was concerned for me,said the anxiety I was experiencing was obvious to him and that I needed to be on something.

Benadryl is the active ingredient in medicines like Sominex. It may work for you. There are others and I'm sure your doctors will find one that works for you.

Any sedative will worsen apnea, but that's not a big deal as long as you are using your CPAP machine.

Your problem is that you are sleeping without your CPAP machine. You are sending the wrong signals to your brain when you do that. You cannot adapt to CPAP therapy by wearing your mask some times and not other times.

Keep in mind that you are fighting for your life. Sleeping without the CPAP machine is worse for you than not sleeping at all.

Practice good sleep hygiene. And wear your mask every time you sleep, even if it's only a nap.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 304 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,052 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 218 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 491 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mild OSA, fractured sleep - looking for advice rozlt 1 328 01-01-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Frequent wakeups with mild OSA -- help me interpret OSCAR? mcrick 6 697 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: mcrick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.