Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone get a better AHI with AFLEX on 3?
Anyone get a better AHI with AFLEX on 3?
I understand that APAP is not for central sleep apnea, however, what I've noticed is I was going without flex for a while and it seemed I got used to it. I turned flex on 3 and it seems to make my body think its natural or something and I'm now getting scores of 1 or 2 which I never got before.

For some reason it seems like it's helping my central sleep apnea go down. Why would this be? I know that Bipap can help with centrals and ASV. I hear people say it's only a comfort setting and nothing more on an APAP but for some reason it's giving me better results and I had no trouble breathing against the pressure with it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone get a better AHI with AFLEX on 3?
In generally I think should expect opposite, but may depends on Min & Max capability Auto pressure settings, as often see posted re more EPR gives more increases CA's, well at least to new users. As my thoughts then say auto pressure will compensate to a higher pressure on inhale so as to prevent any O or H ? at required level on Exhale? which then technically is actually increasing the overall pressure unless have capped the Max pressure? so that level EPR isn't capable to increase to that level? Others may be able correct my thinking's if incorrect!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I am fairly new to APAP so I don't know a lot about it but I've had it over a month and I've kinda studied what makes my AHI better or worse. I have it set at 10-20. For a long time it would hover around 15 while I was asleep. Lately it has been hovering around 11.5 or so. 

I seen someone in a YouTube video address Co2 and how it can cause some to have central sleep apnea if it doesn't escape the mask fast enough on higher pressures. 

I have a ResMed AirFit F20 and the air that comes out of it isn't a lot at once. I have other mask and those release a lot of air but this one, you can barely feel the air coming out of it. It is dispersed around the sides through a filter because it has the Quiet Elbow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best to put up screen shot so as to allow analyise, and such as  90-95% and TYPE of events, pressure graph, EPR, leaks, CA & positional events etc.

Is bet to Set up your OSCAR chart's as per:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

May not be able post Screen Shot ! I think may be limit on how may need post 1st before, screenshot?  but just shout out, I think someone will fix you up?  They will probably tell if have CA's why have EPR on 3 and to reduce it ?  but then what events having if clustered H or O may, say its sign of chin tucked in say from to big pillow under head need Supine position and also need flatten pillow otherwise if in such as fetal position and have chin tucked in, either way position a Collar may help with those position Event's? But then in reality, i am just stabbing in the dark, most common things, also may be just CAPA beginners, emergent central sleep apnea, until hopefully adapt adjust to machine, so really do need a picture, and some the experienced knowledge's will chime in and assist out. 

You did say that did say, hovering around 15 and lately 11.5 but then is that pressure or AHI ???

Now re Co2 that from my understand is CA is from generally re  CO2 low levels, so is not triggering then to breathe out or for more O2 in as only have low CO2, and don't quote me others will explain better, than I have worded it but if if wrong someone will chime in and correct it.

You also said  I'm now getting scores of 1 or 2 is that AHI ? and never got before. so why didn't stick with those setting, was not broken ?  Note EPR is just a comfort setting, think more so for High pressure assist against exhale if needed? also  better put in, may use in assist Large leaks also against higher pressure to that also ? as have read some saying similar to that I think ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Edit doubled up
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2021, 06:57 AM)tommydavid9343 Wrote: I seen someone in a YouTube video address Co2 and how it can cause some to have central sleep apnea if it doesn't escape the mask fast enough on higher pressures. 

While higher pressures can result in the appearance of central apneas in a few, I'm not sure of the mechanism.  Higher pressure fluctuations, possibly occurring with the higher pressures, will cause increased flushing of CO2.  Not escaping 'Fast Enough' means that your CO2 levels would be higher thus tending to prevent central apneas, not cause them.

Time will normally yield fewer central apneas simply as your body adjusts to its new lower level of CO2.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2021, 08:35 AM)ICEMAN Wrote: Best to put up screen shot so as to allow analyise, and such as  90-95% and TYPE of events, pressure graph, EPR, leaks, CA & positional events etc.

The DreamStation 2 is not yet supported by OSCAR.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2021, 06:12 AM)tommydavid9343 Wrote: I turned flex on 3 and it seems to make my body think its natural or something and I'm now getting scores of 1 or 2 which I never got before.

Things change as you adapt. With flex set to 3 you have a lower exhale pressure plus the way the pressure changes as you transition from inhalation to exhalation changes. It is designed to make you more comfortable and make breathing more natural. It could be that it's helping you adapt.

Quote:For some reason it seems like it's helping my central sleep apnea go down.

Seems? Can't you look at the data and tell for sure?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting up a PR System One 560 Aflex Efisher53 3 540 07-03-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Questions on Aflex CAs and OAs don600 6 1,570 08-04-2019, 07:42 PM
Last Post: don600
  Aflex or Cflex? zzz1 2 1,814 02-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Last Post: zzz1
  Dreamstation: AFLEX vs CFLEX Kyteflyer 9 9,476 01-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Dreamstation - CFlex or aflex in auto mode stephennic 9 7,067 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: NorthernGuy
  Question what is difference between aflex and cflex? Margie 5 1,707 06-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Margie
  NIGHT # 1with new Philips 60 Aflex ST1300 24 4,791 02-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.