Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone gone rogue? (No insurance)
Anyone gone rogue? (No insurance)
I'm really bothered by the demands of the insurance company. If I don't log four hours a day on CPAP, they won't pay for it. I also don't like the idea of my medical data being transmitted to anyone. I'm thinking about returning the equipment, and simply buying my own stuff. Then, if I don't feel like using it, no one will know or care. Right now, every time I try a new mask, I have to take a day or two off to catch up on my sleep. I certainly am not able to meet the minimum threshold of 4 hours a day. So far, my insurance is paying, but at a 'price'. Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone gone rogue? (No insurance)
To help get use to Cpap take it to your living room and hook it up watching tv or reading a book. You only have to log in 4 hours a day. The Cpap does not know if you are asleep or watching tv. It is very easy to get 4 hrs.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Some questions about the CPAP "calling home."  I know the real purpose is to generate the compliance report for insurance / Medicare. I really don't mind that, I pay for a Medicare Advantage Plan (Kaiser), and I would really rather pay 20% rather than 100%, not just for  the machine but all the on-going costs for supplies that need periodic replacement. BUT who is on the other end of the call when the CPAP calls home?  Only Apria (my supplier), or others as well? If so, who?  And couldn't I just email the OSCAR compliance report to Kaiser  instead? If not, why not?
Pat Anderson
Happily retired in Birch Bay, WA
Blog: http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com
Post Reply Post Reply
On compliance, If you are not using your CPAP it is not helping you.

Usin your CPAP while doing something that you enjoy doe help you to get used to it.

We do our best work when we see the OSCAR nightly charts, with them we can often see what is happening and why it is happening. Often it is a few simple changes to settings that make things better.

Also, Be specific about your issues. I see complaints about mask usage, but no hints about what problems you are having. And specifically why are't you able to use your CPAP for more than 4 hrs per night?

On going Rogue, There are many here that, to some extent or another, have gone "Rogue". It is often cheaper than your insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've ultimately gone rouge.   I was on private insurance when I started therapy.  About 4-months in, I switched to a Medicare Advantage plan.  This caused problems because my doctor had acted as my DME.  This is a big "no-no" with Medicare.    After getting this straightened out, I soon realized that I could directly purchase supplies cheaper than what my co-pay was.  That was in 2014, and I've never looked back.  

A side note:  Supplies last a considerably longer than what is on the replacement schedule.   I am still using most of my original supplies.  The last item, that I can remember purchasing, was a F30 mask sometime last year.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that is eye-opening. Direct purchase for less than the co-pay? I also thought that supplies must last a lot longer than the replacement schedule. I think if I replaced everything on Resmed's recommended schedule I would soon have a drawer full of perfectly serviceable masks, hoses, and water tubs!
Pat Anderson
Post Reply Post Reply
My problem with masks is that they all leak- a lot. Too much to get any useful data or therapy. Only if I clamp them down painfully tight do they seal acceptably. I tried a nasal pillow, and while I think it seals pretty well, I think my mouth opens when I'm asleep, even with a chin strap. Someone suggested tape; um, no, I'm not going to tape my mouth shut.

Everyone keeps telling me about the benefits of the therapy, but you have to bear in mind that I don't have any symptoms of OSA. I sleep well, don't snore, wake refreshed, and have energy all day long.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2021, 05:46 PM)SCgargoyle Wrote: My problem with masks is that they all leak- a lot. Too much to get any useful data or therapy. Only if I clamp them down painfully tight do they seal acceptably. I tried a nasal pillow, and while I think it seals pretty well, I think my mouth opens when I'm asleep, even with a chin strap. Someone suggested tape; um, no, I'm not going to tape my mouth shut.

Everyone keeps telling me about the benefits of the therapy, but you have to bear in mind that I don't have any symptoms of OSA. I sleep well, don't snore, wake refreshed, and have energy all day long.

Leakage is one of the things recorded by the Airsense 10 and reported by OSCAR.  I would have to disagree that they all leak "too much."  How much is "too much"? That is a subjective statement. Leakage is graphed by OSCAR. You can see when it occurred, how much, and and perhaps correlate to something else that you can fix to reduce leakage. You use OSCAR, what is it showing you?
Pat Anderson
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a choice about going rogue. To get insurance for my OSA I'd have to have the top level cover - not worth it. Canny buying from suppliers like #2 has been a godsend.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2021, 01:00 PM)staceyburke Wrote: To help get use to Cpap take it to your living room and hook it up watching tv or reading a book. You only have to log in 4 hours a day. The Cpap does not know if you are asleep or watching tv. It is very easy to get 4 hrs.

I've had several people recommend using the machine 4 hours a day while watching TV or reading. What's the point in doing that? That's like continuing a medicine prescription, but flushing them down the toilet. If it's not working for you, why not just return the equipment? I can't imagine trying to read with air blasting out of the leaky mask.

Last night was typical. I spent about 3 hours screwing around with the mask. I started very loose. I put a very small amount of tension on it, and it sealed- for a couple breaths. No matter how tight or loose, it won't seal for more than maybe a minute or two. I can't get to sleep because of the noise of the rushing air, and feeling it blow all over my face. No matter how good the seal seems, the slightest movement of my face results in leakage. After the machine ramps up to full pressure, it just gets that much harder to obtain and keep a good seal. Around midnight, I gave up and turned it off. I woke at 4 AM like usual, and feel fine.

Right now, I feel pressured to 'perform' due to insurance requirements. I also don't like sharing my medical data. If I go rogue, I can use it when I feel like it, or not. Right now, I screw around with it every other night so I can catch up on my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,861 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,575 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 905 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.