Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why a sudden increase in central apneas?
RE: Why a sudden increase in central apneas?
(02-07-2014, 03:51 AM)igdoc Wrote: New to this forum but not new to this.
Hi igdoc, welcome abaord
How you like the machine "Sefam auto evolve"
http://www.sefam-medical.com/configurations.html

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk,
The SEFAM is a French APAP machine derived from the Sandman. It is small and quiet with a built in humidifier. It tries to distinguish between central (clear airway) and obstructive events but (same as other APAP devices) is not 100% accurate at this. Before discovering that I had Complex Sleep Apnea with 30 central events per hour, the SEFAM would keep pushing up the pressure because some of the events were wrongly classed as obstructive. APAP machines and CPAP induced central events don't go well together!

I have managed to avoid needing an ASV machine by using CPAP mode at a low pressure and, most importantly, by disabling the exhalation relief (CFEX, AFLEX, EPR) to reduce the hyperventilation induced central episodes.

(Sorry in my first post I missed that this topic is relatively old but hopefully still relevant to the small percentage who have high numbers of central events)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi igdoc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Why does bilevel (compared to CPAP) induce hyperventilation? I know that hyperventilation blows off blood CO2 reducing ones central ventilation drive. But, what is it about bilevel that induces HV?

I'm seeing some CAs; and I am wondering is I should up my EPAP pressure by 1 cm-H2O to see if this reduces CAs.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to use SleepyHead to look at your airflow waveforms and figure out how "real" and how serious the centrals are. Sometimes the machine will flag something that's not that concerning once you look at the waveforms. Or it might be long and complete apneas that are even more worrying.

Step one would probably be to undo the changes and see what happens. Then maybe experiment with a few other changes, such as lower pressure without bilevel, and monitor AHI and centrals.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 303 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.