Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help! cpap pressure stuck at 20cm
help! cpap pressure stuck at 20cm
I put my CPAP on like normal tonight and all of a sudden is was blowing incredibly hard (at least double what I'm used to--which is usually 7cm). Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in--same thing.

So I go into the settings and manually set it at the lowest setting - 4cm. Try it now. Nothing changed. I then set it up to 20cm. Try it again--same exact pressure. So changing the settings didn't work, it's still blowing way too hard. I tried both manual and auto. Been playing with the settings for over an hour and no luck. It seems like my CPAP is broken and stuck on the max air pressure setting. This really sucks.

I have a REMstarAuto M Series. Any help will be incredibly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help! cpap pressure stuck at 20cm
Hi HeavySleeper - I'm afraid it does not sound good....

I have two suggestions for you to try - more in hope than expectation....

1. You have already tried recycling the power - if that was only a short power-down perhaps leaving it off for a longer time (a couple of hours) might let a temperature related fault clear until it happens again...

2. You could try a little bit of gentle 'percussive maintenance' - gently tapping the unit on all sides including turning it upside down and tapping the bottom. Turn it off and empty the water first Smile

In my experience as a technician there are enough faults caused by bad soldering and poor mechanical joints to make such a test worth trying.

Unfortunately though - I suspect that any restoration will be only temporary and that professional repair or replacement will be necessary.

I hope it is under warranty..
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like the pressure control has gone open loop. Which means it may have a dead head pressure that is only limited by the capacity of the blower. It may exceed 20cm. Might be dangerous to use.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi heavysleeper123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Hopefully you get your machine working again.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #2 have a good reputation and sell used machine cleaned with some warranty but you need a prescription, Your GP can write one
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Machines choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2014, 04:57 AM)heavysleeper123 Wrote: I put my CPAP on like normal tonight and all of a sudden is was blowing incredibly hard (at least double what I'm used to--which is usually 7cm). Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in--same thing.

So I go into the settings and manually set it at the lowest setting - 4cm. Try it now. Nothing changed. I then set it up to 20cm. Try it again--same exact pressure. So changing the settings didn't work, it's still blowing way too hard. I tried both manual and auto. Been playing with the settings for over an hour and no luck. It seems like my CPAP is broken and stuck on the max air pressure setting. This really sucks.

I have a REMstarAuto M Series. Any help will be incredibly appreciated.

I don't have your machine, but I have read that calibration needs to be done at times I wonder if this would help.

If you know your prescription number and if you could buy another unit might be best. I bought a new unit off of a classified ad for $675, but I have a back up machine that I really like for $150 that had about 45 hours on the machine when I got it.

I don't have insurance or sleep study so I'm reading and educating myself so I can try to figure out my prescription number. So far my number HRI /HI are way below 5 so I'm good there.

Hope you get it figured outOh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like the CPAP machine has gone zonkers.
It should not be able to cause any real harm but it can make you really uncomfortable if
you are not used to that kind of pressure.

A trip to the repair shop may be in order....

Good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI -- to my fellow CPAPers: I bought a digital manometer that reads in inches of water. (The conversion to cm of water is multiply by 2.54)
I checked my machine pressure with it. I could not capture the IPAP pressure because it slews to fast for the meter to settle. But, I was able to capture the EPAP pressure; and it was right on the money.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2014, 04:27 PM)justMongo Wrote: FYI -- to my fellow CPAPers: I bought a digital manometer that reads in inches of water. (The conversion to cm of water is multiply by 2.54)
I checked my machine pressure with it. I could not capture the IPAP pressure because it slews to fast for the meter to settle. But, I was able to capture the EPAP pressure; and it was right on the money.

My sleep doc just tested mine with a little device with an actual water column. It was good.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2014, 04:48 PM)PaytonA Wrote: My sleep doc just tested mine with a little device with an actual water column. It was good.

PaytonA
That's a manometer in it's simplest form. I could have made one; but, with age comes laziness.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 237 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  AHI stuck around 10 PercyA 3 196 02-28-2024, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 280 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 407 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Stuck SD card Old Steve 6 445 01-16-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.