Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone have A-fib?
RE: Anyone have A-fib?
(03-18-2014, 11:20 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Hi, Marnid2014,

I, too, have A-fib and it was my cardiologist who sent me for a sleep study in October 2012. Since starting CPAP I've only had one A-fib "episode", but it was bad enough to get me admitted to the hospital over Thanksgiving. When I saw my cardiologist two weeks later for a "follow up" a DVT was found in my leg. A-fib plus DVT equals Xarelto for me.

I agree with Doc Wills about stress management (and "anxiety", I might add). I really believe I, myself, brought on this last A-fib episode because I was so … "stressed out".

Before CPAP I was afraid to go to sleep for fear I'd stop breathing. Now when I put my pillows in my nose and my head on the pillow at night, I go to sleep without anxiety. I bought a FitBit and walk over 10,000 steps a day (I walk a neighbor's dog). That helps with stress and anxiety.

If you don't have prescription insurance that will help pay for Xarelto, google "patient assistance program for Xarelto" and you will find help.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks for responding, are you on an anti-arythemia as well? I don't mind the Coumadin so much but I am a bit leary of the Soltolol, as it has a lot of side effects. They had to keep me in the hospital when they began that drug, on constant heart monitoring to watch for one of the side effects which is a "q-wave"?????? whatever that is, but I passed the test and they say the drug is safe, however there is fatigue and weight gain associated with it as well. I am already overweight by 40 lbs so it's a major diet for me all the time, I have no thyroid as well due to a bout of thyroid cancer about 30 years ago.

Post Reply Post Reply
I take Digoxin twice a day along with Verapamil (primarily for high blood pressure). My thyroid was removed in 1976 (benign tumor) so I take Synthroid. Do you take thyroid replacement?

I don't know about "q-waves", maybe someone else can help explain what that is and why it might be a "side affect" of Soltolol.

You have a lot going on right now and it has to be scary.

Be informed. Ask a lot of questions - write them down. My cardiologist always laughs about my "list", but I live 235 miles away from him, so I come prepared. Find a good support group. Maybe your hospital or cardiologist could recommend one in your area. Meditate. Exercise. Relax. And… here's the hardest (for me): trust.

I trust my cardiologist is doing the best he can for me; just like I'm doing the best I can do for myself.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 08:48 AM)MAPnea Wrote: I take Digoxin twice a day along with Verapamil (primarily for high blood pressure). My thyroid was removed in 1976 (benign tumor) so I take Synthroid. Do you take thyroid replacement?

I don't know about "q-waves", maybe someone else can help explain what that is and why it might be a "side affect" of Soltolol.

Be informed. Ask a lot of questions - write them down. My cardiologist always laughs about my "list", but I live 235 miles away from him, so I come prepared. Find a good support group. Maybe your hospital or cardiologist could recommend one in your area. Meditate. Exercise. Relax. And… here's the hardest (for me): trust.

I trust my cardiologist is doing the best he can for me; just like I'm doing the best I can do for myself.

Great Basin National Park, Nevada -- you're in the middle of nowhere. Even Beatty NV has more population.

BTW -- I thought Verapamil had fallen out of favor with Amlodipine superseding it.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If it will make you feel any better, my aunt had hypothyroidism and A-Fib and live to be 102. I think she probably also had sleep apnea but was never diagnosed. Unfortunately at about 95 she started to get dementia.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 08:48 AM)MAPnea Wrote: I take Digoxin twice a day along with Verapamil (primarily for high blood pressure). My thyroid was removed in 1976 (benign tumor) so I take Synthroid. Do you take thyroid replacement?

I, too had Thyroid issues, but mine turned out to be cancer. I had it in 1984. After that my "skipped" beats began but I was always told it was benign flutters, so who knows.
As far as Sotalol, the reason I had to stay in the hospital was because of that drug, they have to watch for these "q" waves? I don't know much about them but want to find out. All I know is that the doc told me once you are dosed for 6 doses, 3 day's you are good to go on this drug.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 10:18 AM)justMongo Wrote: [quote='MAPnea' pid='62895' dateline='1395236897']
I take Digoxin twice a day along with Verapamil (primarily for high blood pressure). My thyroid was removed in 1976 (benign tumor) so I take Synthroid. Do you take thyroid replacement?

Great Basin National Park, Nevada -- you're in the middle of nowhere. Even Beatty NV has more population.

BTW -- I thought Verapamil had fallen out of favor with Amlodipine superseding it.
[/quot

I had thyroid cancer in 1984, and on high dosage of synthroid which I understand can cause some of this as well. I will definatly learn to meditate, good idea. As far as the side effects of Sotalol, the reason you must be in the hospital for 3 day's is to make sure this "q wave" or whatever that means doesn't happen, They monitored me for it and I passed the test and now home.

(03-19-2014, 12:55 PM)Lukie Wrote: If it will make you feel any better, my aunt had hypothyroidism and A-Fib and live to be 102. I think she probably also had sleep apnea but was never diagnosed. Unfortunately at about 95 she started to get dementia.

That DOES make me feel better!!!! I know my doctor said this is not the end of the world, A-Fib is pretty common and people don't usually die from it, it's the clot that can form while IN an episode of A-fib. That is why you have to take the blood thinner.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.