Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone have cataract surgery??
RE: Anyone have cataract surgery??
Hi,

I had both a corneal transplant and a cataract done ( 12m later on) by my surgeon.

It was the best thing I have ever done - now I can see better than 20/20 ( in one eye 2nd eye next year)

Best advice I can offer is find the best ophthalmic surgeon you can speak with him/her and make sure you trust them implicitly. Once you do relax and think of the real benefits you will get

My surgeon has an actual 99.2% no complication rate and my cataract lens replacement was painless and results superb.

Recovery is short and little/no pain in my case Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(11-15-2019, 05:17 AM)Hanksy Wrote: Hi,

I had both a corneal transplant and a cataract done ( 12m later on) by my surgeon.

It was the best thing I have ever done - now I can see better than 20/20 ( in one eye 2nd eye next year)

Best advice I can offer is find the best ophthalmic surgeon you can speak with him/her and make sure you trust them implicitly. Once you do relax and think of the real benefits you will get

My surgeon has an actual 99.2% no complication rate and my cataract lens replacement was painless and results superb.

Recovery is short and little/no pain in my case Hope this helps

I'm glad your surgeries turned out so well for you.  I imagine it was quite a surprise to you to see more clearly after the surgery.  I'm hoping my outcome will also be positive and it is hard for me to think about seeing better.  Seeing poorly is all I have ever known most of my adult life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: I am finished with my cataract/therapeutic keratectomy procedures. The procedures were basically pain free but the first 24 hrs after the keratectomy was very painful. The following day the eye surgeon put in a 'bandage contact' which relieved the pain substantially. My vision while good at this point, is not good enough to be able to drive or read close caption on the television. Most of what I have done since the surgery is still blurry. I miss reading a whole lot. I went from farsigfhtedness to nearsightedness. It will be interesting to see what I end up with after the healing is complete.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear of your problems. Out of curiosity, did you elect to have them use the laser? How about the vision correction? Single distance or multifocal?

I had my first eye done on January 8th. It went so well that I had my other one done on the 20th. Both times I selected single distance and a (sharp) knife in lieu of the laser. I've had no pain or problems. My vision is back to 20/20. This has made my wife very envious. She now can't wait for her appointment which isn't till March. I wish my other surgeries had gone half as well as these two.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead and OSCAR
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(02-06-2020, 06:11 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Sorry to hear of your problems.  Out of curiosity, did you elect to have them use the laser?  How about the vision correction?  Single distance or multifocal?

I had my first eye done on January 8th. It went so well that I had my other one done on the 20th.  Both times I selected single distance and a (sharp) knife in lieu of the laser.  I've had no pain or problems.  My vision is back to 20/20.  This has made my wife very envious. She now can't wait for her appointment which isn't till March. I wish my other surgeries had gone half as well as these two.

I had my first procedure done Jan 13 and the second procedure done Jan 27.  I did not have a laser but instead had the blade both times.  When I inquired about the laser, I was told the laser costs more.  I have astigmatism so I chose a Toric lens both times.  My vision is not great yet at 20/60.  I have worn coke bottle glasses since I was a child, so any improvement is appreciated.  I have to wait until March 4th to have a dilated eye exam for whatever type of glasses is appropriate.  It indeed feels very strange to be without eye glasses as I have worn glasses for over 70 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape and GrammaBear,

Just curious... both of you opted for "the blade" instead of laser.

Besides cost, why choose that over laser? Wouldn't laser be considered more precise?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

OSCAR Chart Organization

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mom had both eyes done with laser, doing one eye then a short break (about a week between) and getting the second taken care of. Laser is more expensive. I don't know the cost of mom's, but she had to get a small short term loan or a bump in her credit card limit. Sorry I forget which.

She had some discomfort but it seemed to pass pretty quick. She went with single vision correction and now has to wear the cheapie reading glasses. It was quite a bit more expensive to get double correction and laser.

Best to ya Gramma
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
My decision to opt for the knife was solely based in the cost. Cataract surgery is mush like buying a car. You have the base model and then you can add on the options. I was quoted per eye an additional $995 for the laser and another $995 for a multifocal lens. None of these options are covered under Medicare. Also, I don't see paying that kind of money based on the statistical probability of my lifespan. After seeing the results (pun intended) I'm glad I didn't spend the money.

Based on your vision deficiencies, you have a totally different basis for looking into these options.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead and OSCAR
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that explanation Red. Makes a lot of sense.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

OSCAR Chart Organization

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Red has explained, your own vision problems and your budget, have the deciding factor on some of these 'options' when it comes to cataract surgery. My vision was very poor and I had astigmatism which made chosing a Toric lens my best option. I chose the blade over the laser because it is what my surgeon preferred for such short surgeries. My own personal feelings were that a laser has to be programmed and with my poor vision, there were just too many variables when it comes to computer programming.

My after pain came from the corneal scraping as I had corneal scars on both eyes. The after pain from the scraping was intense, but manageable. It is my understanding that there is not the same type of after pain with just cataract surgery. I wish I had done this surgery 5 years ago when I first started not being able to read well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Lasik Eye Surgery Pros and Cons Kryogen 5 1,087 09-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Foot Surgery Forum Melman 2 1,950 08-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 18,267 12-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 4,045 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
  Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study zonk 5 2,904 08-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Last Post: sober12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.