Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone have cataract surgery??
RE: Anyone have cataract surgery??
Mom did say things like color and variations in brightness were vastly different in a good way. The only negative is she's got the cheap reading glasses in most rooms of the house. Then she says she can't find them.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(02-07-2020, 02:38 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I'm a bit confused on the laser surgery option for cataract surgery.... can someone educate me?

It's my understanding that cataract surgery involved cutting out and removing the natural lens, and replacing the entire lens with a plastic lens (or some other type of material), so that effectively, you end up with an artificial lens in your eye.  My cataract surgeries both did this, took about 90 minutes in the operating room each time, and now I have to carry around a card in my wallet stating that I have artificial lenses - one card for each eye.

Is this laser surgery that you all are talking about simply replacing the doctor's knife, and you still get an artificial lens replacement... or is it reshaping the existing natural lens without an implanted lens?

Thinking-about

SuperSleeper ~ I had the blade because my eye surgeon felt it was more appropriate given the fact that I needed the 're-shaping' of my cornea because of scarring, then he did the usual cataract surgery where he removed the old lens and replaced it with a artificial lens.  He did warn me beforehand that the reshaping would bring pain afterwards - he was not kidding.  It was painful and I was offered OTC ibuprofen and wished I had something stronger.  Eyes are healing now but I have encountered a new problem of dry eyes which has affected my new vision.  I guess this is part of the 'golden age'. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay thanks!

I wish they'd call it something other than "cataract surgery"... in effect, it's lens-replacement surgery (due to the cataract).

A lot of folks I've talked to (even in the eye doc's office) when they told me they had cataract surgery, I asked are the new replacement lenses better for you now?  And they're like "Huh?  No, I had cataract surgery, I didn't get my lenses replaced".  So this was why I was confused.  I think the terminology is confusing to some people and they don't realize that cataract surgery is lens-replacement surgery.

Cool
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
They could have called it, "Wink'in Continental". Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead and OSCAR
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(02-07-2020, 01:19 PM)AlanE Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:34 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I went from farsigfhtedness to nearsightedness.  It will be interesting to see what I end up with after the healing is complete.

I did the same thing. Everyone tried to talk me out of it but now I can read without glasses. One less thing to have hanging on my head when I read in bed. As for driving, where far-sight would be needed, I'm always wearing sunglasses or something when I drive so having to wear prescription wouldn't make a difference. I had to have the eyeglass restriction on my driver's license but so what... I can't see to drive without glasses. Could be the reason so many drive poorly here.

I do have one regret; I opted to get transitions lenses with the anti-glare coating. Huge mistake on my part. Before my cataract surgery, everything looked dingy and had a yellowish tint. After my surgery, I saw everything in bright vivid colors. Green looked green etc. Then when my eyes healed and I received the aforementioned eye wear, everything again has a yellowish tint. Removing my glasses I see brighter colors but because I changed from far to near, it's just brighter blurry colors. My next pair of glasses will not be transitions or at least not the anti-glare coating if that is, in fact, what is causing the off-color tint. I'll just use the clip-on sunglasses.

AlanE ~ I am curious about your eyeglasses situation.  My husband has transition lenses in his glasses.  He is nearsighted and does not have cataracts - yet.  I looked at his eyeglasses today and held them over a sheet of white paper and indeed they DO appear to have a yellowish tint.  I'm glad you have mentioned your regret about the vivid color change.  It gives me something to consider when I get new glasses in a month or so.  I'm liking the vivid color change.  Spring will be coming in April for our area and I really look forward to seeing flowers to find out what color they really are.  Lilacs are my favorite and I love to see and smell them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had cataract surgery in my left eye a couple of years ago. As I would still need glasses, I opted for the intermediate lens (think computer range). Because of a slight astigmatism, torx lenses were not an option. Healing was very quick and and I can get away without wearing glasses to some extent. We are watching a cataract develop in the right eye, but we are not at the point of talking surgery yet.

My wife had surgery on both of her eyes and had a lot of issues. We found out she has both Map dot and Fuchs dystrophies (irregularities in the cornea, one on the inside and one on the outside). She also has a case of dry eye and has good luck with restasis to treat it. She sees her cornea doc twice a year.

I did not see any color shifts, but then I only had one eye done.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2020, 04:12 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: They could have called it, "Wink'in Continental". Big Grin

Didn't see that one coming. However some guy was recently busted on LTD
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
My lesson from lens/replacement or cataract surgery is that corrective lenses are available, but since I had Lazik™ along time ago, the vision corrections are not straight forward. I have had vision good enough to drive since Lazik, but have ghost images vertically displaced from the real object. For example, imagine looking at the moon or a bright star, and seeing a second moon or star displaced vertically above the real one. Same thing for street lights, headlights, birds flying in the sky, gun sights; any place where a background has contrast, I see it twice. My ophthalmologist did not recommend a corrective lens because the cornea distortions from Lazik are too unpredictable. So the veil has been lifted from my right eye, several years ago, and I will probably have the left done soon, but it seems I can't lose this vision distortion.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2020, 09:40 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 08:31 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Not having this done yet, but I'd be more likely to do laser multi-focus if I could afford it. I'd opt for laser only to be more affordable.

My associate Kelvin says lights in different colors are pretty amazing.

Coffee

Dave - Your associate is correct in my opinion.  I had started knitting a winter scarf prior to my first surgery.  After the surgery the yarn looked weird to me so I asked hubby "what color is the yarn"?  When he told me "blue" I was convinced he was wrong.  The operated eye saw blue (as in sky blue) and the other eye saw a dull green.  Now, after both eyes have been operated, the yarn is blue with both eyes.  It is amazing to me how bright everything is now.  Hubby complains a bit because I ask him to close curtains curing the day.  The glare from the snow outside is painful.

Yes when you have the first eye done and are waiting a week for the next one to be done, your eyes don't work as one anymore, and all the colours of your childhood come back again, I had to wear sun glasses outside for a couple of months. This was the best money I have ever spent, gee it is great living right now as my parents could only dream of the medical and medicians we have today, and what will be around in the years and decades to come?
Post Reply Post Reply
The differences in experience are interesting. Several years before cataract surgery I had superficial keratectomy procedures on both eyes. (They scrape the cornea down to the basement membrane so it can regrow without irregularities). It is supposed to be very painful but I had no pain. Several years later I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple of months apart. No laser option was offered but itmay not have been available at the time. My vision was immediately better and I had no significant discomfort. After several months the glare around lights increased again and I had to have a laser procedure to remove a film that developed behind the capsule that encloses the lens.  I understand that occurs in a high percentage of patients after cataract surgery. My vision is now about 20/20. After wearing glasses all my life the adjustment to not needing them was actually a little stressful. But I got over it .
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Lasik Eye Surgery Pros and Cons Kryogen 5 1,085 09-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Foot Surgery Forum Melman 2 1,947 08-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 18,259 12-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 4,044 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
  Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study zonk 5 2,904 08-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Last Post: sober12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.