Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone have cataract surgery??
RE: Anyone have cataract surgery??
Well GrammaBear, I finally found out about someone that started wearing glasses at a younger age than I did. I was 18 months old and It’s taken 85 years for me to learn about anyone starting younger. My cataract surgery for both eyes 11 or 12 years ago went well. In January 2020 I was diagnosed with wet age related macular degeneration ERMD and will have the second injection in my left eye tomorrow. Hopefully we caught the wet ARMD early enough for treatment to be effective. There is a hereditary element to ARMD and anyone over 50-55 should consider being tested for it.
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
How To Attach Images And Files to your posts
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.
Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(02-08-2020, 05:58 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: AlanE ~ I am curious about your eyeglasses situation.  My husband has transition lenses in his glasses.  He is nearsighted and does not have cataracts - yet.  I looked at his eyeglasses today and held them over a sheet of white paper and indeed they DO appear to have a yellowish tint.  I'm glad you have mentioned your regret about the vivid color change.  It gives me something to consider when I get new glasses in a month or so.  I'm liking the vivid color change.  Spring will be coming in April for our area and I really look forward to seeing flowers to find out what color they really are.  Lilacs are my favorite and I love to see and smell them.

Transitions brand has different models to choose from. I may have their "Drivewear" model. Which was sales-pitched to me as the pair to get if you drive. I had to read their site again and that model adds a green/yellow tint for "high contrast" in low light. I bought into the "get these and you won't need a separate pair of sunglasses while driving" nonsense. I can now see if one drives a convertible with the top down all the time but if the mode of transportation is a coupe, most likely the windows are slightly tinted and possibly polarized or have some type of UV block from the factory. That makes these types of glasses less effective since it is the UV that makes them darken. I have heavily tinted windows (maximum allowed here) and my lenses will only darken slightly if at all.

You can get an idea of how dark my windows are here.
[Image: XVa4VBo.png]

They work great when I am outside doing yard work but as with driving, I would have been fine with a pair of clip on sunglasses. Dont-know
[Image: WaWKAC7.jpg?1]

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2020, 03:17 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Well GrammaBear, I finally found out about someone that started wearing glasses at a younger age than I did. I was 18 months old and It’s taken 85 years for me to learn about anyone starting younger. My cataract surgery for both eyes 11 or 12 years ago went well. In January 2020 I was diagnosed with wet age related macular degeneration ERMD and will have the second injection in my left eye tomorrow. Hopefully we caught the wet ARMD early enough for treatment to be effective. There is a hereditary element to ARMD and anyone over 50-55 should consider being tested for it.

This age related macular degeneration thing scares me a LOT as my Dad went legally blind from it.  However he also had Type 2 uncontrolled diabetes, so maybe that had an influence on his eyes too.  He has since passed, so I cannot ask him.  I am glad they caught your condition early and that treatments today are much more successful than years ago.  I am also curious if it was suggested to you to take 'eye vitamins'?  My eye surgeon suggested it to me as I have 'dry eyes' in addition to my current situation.  Doctor said it looks like my dry eye condition has been long standing in nature and I had no clue. 

Do let us know, if you feel like it, how things go for you with the injection.  It sounds a mite painful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2020, 10:50 AM)AlanE Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 05:58 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: AlanE ~ I am curious about your eyeglasses situation.  My husband has transition lenses in his glasses.  He is nearsighted and does not have cataracts - yet.  I looked at his eyeglasses today and held them over a sheet of white paper and indeed they DO appear to have a yellowish tint.  I'm glad you have mentioned your regret about the vivid color change.  It gives me something to consider when I get new glasses in a month or so.  I'm liking the vivid color change.  Spring will be coming in April for our area and I really look forward to seeing flowers to find out what color they really are.  Lilacs are my favorite and I love to see and smell them.

Transitions brand has different models to choose from. I may have their "Drivewear" model. Which was sales-pitched to me as the pair to get if you drive. I had to read their site again and that model adds a green/yellow tint for "high contrast" in low light. I bought into the "get these and you won't need a separate pair of sunglasses while driving" nonsense. I can now see if one drives a convertible with the top down all the time but if the mode of transportation is a coupe, most likely the windows are slightly tinted and possibly polarized or have some type of UV block from the factory. That makes these types of glasses less effective since it is the UV that makes them darken. I have heavily tinted windows (maximum allowed here) and my lenses will only darken slightly if at all.

You can get an idea of how dark my windows are here.
[Image: XVa4VBo.png]

They work great when I am outside doing yard work but as with driving, I would have been fine with a pair of clip on sunglasses. Dont-know
[Image: WaWKAC7.jpg?1]

Thank you  for the excellent explanation about the eye glass situation you have.  I can see that your car windows are indeed quite dark.  Do you find your glasses sometimes are 'too dark' when you go from outside bright sunshine to inside where it might be more subdued lighting?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(02-14-2020, 10:45 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Thank you  for the excellent explanation about the eye glass situation you have.  I can see that your car windows are indeed quite dark.  Do you find your glasses sometimes are 'too dark' when you go from outside bright sunshine to inside where it might be more subdued lighting?

I haven't noticed. I think it wouldn't be any different than walking in from outside while wearing sunglasses. It's light enough inside, in the few minutes it takes for them to change, to still see without a cane. The pair I have change quicker than my last pair.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Lasik Eye Surgery Pros and Cons Kryogen 5 938 09-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Foot Surgery Forum Melman 2 1,715 08-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 17,436 12-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 3,863 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
  Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study zonk 5 2,775 08-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Last Post: sober12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.