Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone have "my lucky" nasal pillow?
Wink 
Anyone have "my lucky" nasal pillow?
So I've finally had a week of lower numbers and seen sleepy head say "an ahi of .95 which is considered pretty darn good" on my screen.

I'm tempted to think the particular mask/strap/pillow I was wearing then is my "lucky nasal pillow." Anyone else had this sense of perhaps it's just a one off from this particular set up?

On a related pillow issue, when I got my pillows instead of washing the one I used last night, daily, I put both pillows (and now four pillows, soon to be six) into circulation, washing them en masse when all had been used once. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't mark or segregate them in some way to tell which one's are my first set, and second and so on, so I'll know which are older and newer. Do you all have any way you mark yours to tell, maybe with a sharpie or dots or something?

Is there any easy way to tell which p10 pillows are older? The older one's seem infinitesimally maybe softer at the nasal tips...but even then hard to tell. Do you just use yours until visible wear or the ahi/or leak rates seem affected?

The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone have "my lucky" nasal pillow?
(03-11-2015, 03:22 AM)TheManseHen Wrote: So I've finally had a week of lower numbers and seen sleepy head say "an ahi of .95 which is considered pretty darn good" on my screen.

I'm tempted to think the particular mask/strap/pillow I was wearing then is my "lucky nasal pillow." Anyone else had this sense of perhaps it's just a one off from this particular set up?

On a related pillow issue, when I got my pillows instead of washing the one I used last night, daily, I put both pillows (and now four pillows, soon to be six) into circulation, washing them en masse when all had been used once. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't mark or segregate them in some way to tell which one's are my first set, and second and so on, so I'll know which are older and newer. Do you all have any way you mark yours to tell, maybe with a sharpie or dots or something?

Is there any easy way to tell which p10 pillows are older? The older one's seem infinitesimally maybe softer at the nasal tips...but even then hard to tell. Do you just use yours until visible wear or the ahi/or leak rates seem affected?

The Manse Hen

Hi Susan!!!!

We are using the same mask! This is the new mask I was given when I went to be fitted for a new mask. Been using it since Feb 20th. I have to say it is a big difference from the previous mask I was using which covered my nose and mouth (it was also giving me that triangular rash extending down from the bridge of my nose.). I only have the one set of pillows - they told me I'll get a phone call every three months to replace the mask, pillows and filter - that is paid for by the insurance company.

Did you buy your extra pillows? How much are they?

The new pillow mask is soooo light and so much more comfortable. I do though have trouble with my right nostril....that is where I get some discomfort. I have a medium size - I'm wondering if I should have a small - as I think it may be too big. I have been told for years by various doctors how my left side is slightly bigger than my right (my left foot is slightly larger than my right foot, my left wrist, etc.) and I'm wondering if that is why I'm having trouble with the mask?

The other thing that is slightly bothersome is that it does wake me up when I shift positions. I feel like it dislodges easily. But it hasn't been a big deal

Happy for you that your numbers are so good!! Don't stress about which set is the "lucky" set. Rather celebrate that .95 and just be confident that you will do it again!

Conversely I've had two of my largest numbers (.08 and .07) with the pillows but now also regularly get .01 and .02 (whereas before .03 and .04 were the regular numbers I was seeing).

Keep us posted on those numbers! Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't mark my P10 pillows. I think that I might be able to differentiate and old from a new by a slight color change and softening of the pillow outlets.

As to dislodging when changing positions, you can learn to overcome that. It seldom happened to me after a few months.

Main tricks: Get a really good fit. Don't move the mask once positioned (e.g., don't 'fiddle' with it) and it will sort of glue itself lightly to the inside of your nose. Use some lanolin creme both to prevent irritation and to help 'glue' it. Wash AND RINSE your face carefully before use to help prevent itching or grease from causing you to scratch or move the mask around.

Finally, you will learn to set your head (comfortably) on a pillow without moving it. Splitting the straps (one high up on the head) also seems to prevent some shifting but may make the mask "too tight" since that also a way to tighten it a little.

My P10 headgear can stretch quite a bit without slipping around much, and in fact it actually seems to fit BETTER when it is a little looser than I would consciously choose to set it. Counter-intuitive but true.

Also, if you get your pillows to 'stick' then in the morning you need to remove them CAREFULLY -- I find the best is generally by PUSHING the mask towards my head (rather than pulling out or down) and only then down towards my upper lip. This disconnects it comfortably, and removes it through the back of your nose opening where there is more space.

FYI: I think about this stuff way too much, but my wife who has only been using CPAP for about 2 weeks has had essentially zero problems with her P10 and S9 Autoset. She is 100% compliant and can't figure out why so many people have so much trouble -- simply because she has never used anything else or run into the common problems on her own.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
herbm,
I've read your "tricks" concerning the P10 and pillow fit. I had a lot of trouble for the first two months of use with fit and leaks. Was about to give up on that mask until I read some of your posts on subject.
I also use either a lanolin or nasal gel to help set seal, and I don't fiddle with it once I lay down.
I've learned where and how to position my head so as not to dislodge pillows. It works!

I have a supply of backup pillows, but only use one pillow at a time. You know when to replace them because they get soft, the opening looks thinner and if you wear it, it can make a whistling sound which is really annoying and also will tickle inside of your nose. I get two per month from insurance, but replace them every two to three weeks. I also wash them daily.

So in addition to helping Mrs. P10, you've helped many others.
Thanks
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2015, 09:03 AM)herbm Wrote: I don't mark my P10 pillows. I think that I might be able to differentiate and old from a new by a slight color change and softening of the pillow outlets.

As to dislodging when changing positions, you can learn to overcome that. It seldom happened to me after a few months.

Main tricks: Get a really good fit. Don't move the mask once positioned (e.g., don't 'fiddle' with it) and it will sort of glue itself lightly to the inside of your nose. Use some lanolin creme both to prevent irritation and to help 'glue' it. Wash AND RINSE your face carefully before use to help prevent itching or grease from causing you to scratch or move the mask around.

Finally, you will learn to set your head (comfortably) on a pillow without moving it. Splitting the straps (one high up on the head) also seems to prevent some shifting but may make the mask "too tight" since that also a way to tighten it a little.

My P10 headgear can stretch quite a bit without slipping around much, and in fact it actually seems to fit BETTER when it is a little looser than I would consciously choose to set it. Counter-intuitive but true.

Also, if you get your pillows to 'stick' then in the morning you need to remove them CAREFULLY -- I find the best is generally by PUSHING the mask towards my head (rather than pulling out or down) and only then down towards my upper lip. This disconnects it comfortably, and removes it through the back of your nose opening where there is more space.

FYI: I think about this stuff way too much, but my wife who has only been using CPAP for about 2 weeks has had essentially zero problems with her P10 and S9 Autoset. She is 100% compliant and can't figure out why so many people have so much trouble -- simply because she has never used anything else or run into the common problems on her own.

Thank you! I will try these ~ much appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks All,

Sparkle glad you got yourself a lighter mask. Go you! I do love mine. I think I've seen the pillows online for about 19.00 each but I could be wrong.
I use a small size, but when I went to exchange a mask I bought out of pocket to try (the Nuance pro) cause it didn't work for me, I went ahead and got another p10 cause I know I like it. (I was able to get a for her this time with the nice purple color strap, the only difference) As such it came with XS, S and Med, where as my first p10 the DME had swapped out the 3 diff sizes for 2 smalls (folk get upset about this, and I kinda thought it was a gyp too at first but in reality, if one knows the correct size and the DME had me try one there for fit with machine on) it's a better deal because 3 diffs leaves you with only one actually usable one. So I can see it both ways. Anyhoo, I finally got to try the medium cause I'd been wondering if I might get a better seal etc. I've tried it but not slept with it on. I think I "could" use the medium in a pinch but feel for me the Small fits better.

As to that feeling of a little bit of condensation right after putting mask on, I am wondering if instead if it being condensation, maybe it is the more flappyness the silicone gets on the older one's as they wear out...that could potentially be what I am feeling.

I used AYR gel faithfully for my first 60 days or so. I liked how it felt and do think it helped with seal. I haven't been using it and don't notice much difference. Herb- I wonder how men do the p10 straps without a lot of hair cause I find it helpful to put some hair between the top and bottom strap to keep the top from sliding down or the bottom from sliding up. Works a treat.

Sparkle, I too have found that I have less leak wakings the longer I've had it, so I think your body does sort of train itself not to dow whatever that thing is it does, to make those leak sounds. Your mileage may vary. Nice pic by the way!

The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought Large size P10 pillows at Amazon for $7/piece + shipping. They were sealed in mfr pkging. Their price varies though. Today they are showing $15.61.

eBay has them for cheaper (consistently below $11).
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #10 has replacement pillows for the P10 mask for $7.99.

Actually just used a coupon code and got them for $7.19 + free shipping.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If my posts helped you are MORE than welcome -- plenty of people helped me, especially at the beginning.

I am more or less bald (I trim it all off it it gets more than about a quarter inch long even though it would grow in the back where the straps are located.) P10 is no different with or without that bit of hair.

I have already said that at different times every size of the (regular) pillows has worked for me -- using a medium right now, but have used a small for months, even though at first it was mostly the large.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 315 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,855 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 261 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 339 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.