Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone have new cushions with strong smells?
Anyone have new cushions with strong smells?
I'm trying to figure out if there is some sort of problem with my mask cushions.  Last night I changed the cushion.  As I opened the bag I noticed a very strong chemical smell, reminiscent of chlorine, but not chlorine, more like a stinky version of bad PVC.  (Think of a horrible, cheap, new PVC shower curtain.)  When I put the mask on, it was unpleasant, due to the smell and the 'chemicals' irritated my lungs.  For a while, my eyes were irritated and they watered.  I seem to remember having the same "scent" problem last month.  Never seemed to have a smell issue with cushions before.  Has this happened to anyone before?

The scent is mostly gone in the morning - I just tried sniffing it and it's barely detectable.  I have another cushion from the same lot, I guess I can open it and air it out a day prior to use.

Not sure if this is a new process that the manufacturer is using, or if it's possible that I have counterfeit masks.  Last night's cushion is marked as ResMed Quattroair/AirfitF10 Cushion-Med  Ref 62738.  Made in Singapore LOT (10)14456648

Are these mask cushions genuine?   If so, is there a way to report back to ResMed?  The masks shouldn't have chemical outgassing for patients with breathing problems, right?  If not genuine, what should be done?  These mask cushions were supplied by my DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone have new cushions with strong smells?
If the odor is a problem when new, allowing the cushion to sit in open for a day, possibly washing it, should eliminate the problem. As long as the packaging says Resmed it is likely authentic. I have had similar experience when opening a new nasal pillow cushion or new tube, but I don't find the "new" odor objectionable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
New tubes tend to have that sort of smell, but not as bad as these cushions were.  As a workable solution, I can leave the cushion to air out a day.  Good to know that the supplies probably are not counterfeit.

Don't know, maybe I've just become chemically sensitized.  Most cosmetic scents seem to be really strong for me.  In my city they use a lot of chlorine in the water.  I can smell it in the tap water.  The chlorine is very strong (to me) from the shower.
Post Reply Post Reply
The good news is, you probably don't have Covid-19. I have heard loss of the sense of smell may be one of the symptoms.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2020, 09:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The good news is, you probably don't have Covid-19. I have heard loss of the sense of smell may be one of the symptoms.

Yes, my sniffer seems to be working overtime!  So it's a blessing, and I'll take it.  

About three months ago I got sick for a week, it was pretty bad.  It was really incapacitating.  No energy.  But the sniffer kept on going, and there was no fever.  Had many of the other covid symptoms, maybe 50% of them.  Brain fog, gastro problems, malaise, etc.  Fully recovered.  Later, when I eventually made it to a doctor for a normal checkup I told him about it.  He asked if I wanted a Covid-19 antibodies test.  I asked if my life would change in any way knowing if I had gotten covid, or not, two months ago.  He said, there would be no need to behave differently.  Declined the test.  I decided to let someone who really needs the test get one, rather than me using up a test just to satisfy my curiosity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people are more sensitive to the "new" smells of replacement cushions, nasal pillow, hoses, etc.
I've noticed the smell, but doesn't really bother me. Once therapy starts, I no longer smell it.

You can always wash the cushion before using with a light scent dishwasher soap like Dawn, rinse well and let air dry.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vinegar is good for washing new things to get rid of the smells, then a thorough rinse if you don’t like pickled onions
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2020, 09:19 AM)happydreams Wrote: Don't know, maybe I've just become chemically sensitized.  Most cosmetic scents seem to be really strong for me.  In my city they use a lot of chlorine in the water.  I can smell it in the tap water.  The chlorine is very strong (to me) from the shower.

Well, our first two Resmed F30 cushions had no discernible odor at all to my nose, but I ordered a replacement cushion on Amazon for what seemed like a great price. It has a bad plastic smell. I returned it right away. I suspect a knockoff, and plan to report to Resmed. Like you, I'm very concerned about toxic off gassing from inappropriate materials.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 921 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
  QAL finally got an AirSense 10, completely new but smells like bubblegum. quiescence at last 0 440 04-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  AirFit F30 Cushions websterling 4 596 02-15-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  [Equipment] Safety of memory foam CPAP cushions shutto 0 675 02-05-2023, 12:24 PM
Last Post: shutto
  Cushions on ResMed AirTouch N20 NainJo 2 914 01-28-2023, 11:09 PM
Last Post: NainJo
  Cheapest place to buy mask cushions (in U.S.)? newmar 4 724 12-09-2022, 08:52 PM
Last Post: newmar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.