Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone heard of Apnea Options for custom masks?
Anyone heard of Apnea Options for custom masks?
There is a company in Palm Harbor, FL named "Apnea Options". They provide custom-made CPAP masks. Has anyone heard of this outfit? If so, what have you learned? I am seriously considering traveling there and having a mask made.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone heard of Apnea Options for custom masks?
I found three more places that claim to offer custom-made CPAP masks:

SleepWell Solutions
Dallas, TX

Sleep Dentist
No Snore Center
Chicago, IL

Dr. Ronald S. Prehn
The Woodlands, TX

Any comments on these would be appreciated, too. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
While I have no knowledge of the specific companies, I believe they all provide oral appliances that hold the jaws in a particular alignment to help alleviate the closing of the throat closing off. My best friend has one of these devices which is allowing him to sleep quietly (according to his wife) without having to 'fight' with the hose and mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not heard of any of them. Nearly all dental devices are custom made, I would assume. Not sure why a CPAP mask would need to be except for facial deformities or other issues such as skin sensitivities.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
To clarify, what is specifically being provided is a dental device attached to a mask (also custom-made to fit one's face) without any straps but can also be connected to a CPAP hose in the normal way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2013, 01:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Not sure why a CPAP mask would need to be except for facial deformities or other issues such as skin sensitivities.

I needed a custom configuration to stop the leaks caused by being a very active sleeper. In my case I use a Wisp with a custom chin strap on top. If someone made custom masks (sans the dental appliance part) I'd be interested, because then perhaps I could have a mask made that would actually stay on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found a dentist in Herndon, VA that can provide a custom made full face mask. The actual name of this device is “TAP-PAP CM Custom Full Mask”. There is also one for just the nose called “TAP-PAP CS Nasal Pillows”. Here is a link from a dentist in Florida that describes each:

http://www.apneaoptions.com/page51/page51.html

This is exactly what I have been searching for for almost two years. The procedure is rather interesting. The first step is to take an impression of one’s teeth. From that the oral device is made and then an impression of one’s nose and mouth is made (or, just the nose as the case may be). Then the custom mask is made and attaches to the oral device which holds it all in place. There are no straps. I’ll let you know how it works out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please keep us informed of what you learn? I fear the prices of a custom mask, but I read that they can work on air leaks on your current mask as well, I wonder how effective/costly that approach is?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, after all this time I finally received my custom mask yesterday. It took three attempts to obtain a valid facial mold that could be used for making the mask. After one night, I have mixed results. Intuitively, it would seem that a mask molded to the exact shape of my face should be a "can't miss". However, as is often the case in this world, theory and reality do not always match.
The bad:
It leaks. When I first put it on and started my CPAP, it leaked around the nose. I kept making it tighter until the leak stopped. I was awakened after about 4.5 hours due to air blowing into my right eye. Also, the mask was so tight that my teeth were sore (recall earlier descriptions indicating that the mask is held in place by an oral appliance).
The good:
AHI: 0.2 with only one event for the entire night (albeit only 4.5 hours).
The required pressure was significantly less that previously required. My typical max IPAP was usually around 24 with the 95% at around 21. Last night, it was 21.5 and 17.5 respectively. Of course, this is just one night and more data will be needed before a reasonable conclusion can be accepted.
I like the strapless design. I have creases in my head from my mask straps being so ridiculously tight.
More work ahead:
I have some options I plan to try for the near future. I have some mask liners that may fit after some custom cutting. I have mask sealer (i.e. scuba diver mask seal) and some silicone strips. I may eventually have to have the lab make some modifications.
I'll keep you posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be interested in the expense involved as I am not sure if insurance would cover it but it is doubtful that it would. I think it is crazy that insurance doesn't cover Diabetes Prevention and would prefer to pay out money for metformin, insulin, test strips, syringes, needles and if there is a medical issue pay out on the hospital expenses. One would think that they would rather spend $$$$ on prevention than much more $$$$$ if someone becomes diabetic. Some things just don't make sense in this world.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 200 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.