Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not feeling better
Not feeling better
Hello. Im new here to this apnea stuff. Ive had a cpap for four months. And this fatigue problem is still out of control. Is there anything i could be doing wrong. Or any advice on how long it takes to feel better.
Thank you.
RE: Not feeling better
Hi tubebabe, welcome to the forum
Few people take to the therapy like duck to water but for most it take time and patience to make it work. There other health issues or some medication can interfere with the therapy but for the therapy to work you need to wear the mask all night every night and finding a comfortable good fitting mask is a good start towards a successful therapy. Do you have a follow-up with the sleep doc, Its difficult to tell if things could be done any better without knowing pressure range setting and looking at the resscan download or even th S9 screen data (breakdown of AHI, leak, pressure, hours sleeping with the mask)
It looks like you have the S9 Autoset. It would be a waste of that great machine if it is set in CPAP mode, but if it is, you probably should ask to have it reset for autoPap (autoset) mode. especially if your AHI is high. If your AHI is consistently low, your fatigue is probably being caused by factors other than sleep apnea.

If your AHI is above 5 in Autoset mode, I would be sure there is no significant mask leak. Run Rescan to see about possible mask leaks of significance and at the same time look for any reported central sleep apnea (CSA) events. Fix the mask or get a different mask, so that your leaks are as far below the 24 l/min as you can get it. If you have a nasal mask or nasal pillow and can't reduce the leak, try a chin strap or a full face mask.

If you aren't having a leak problem, and your HPI is higher than 4 or 5, see check Rescan for frequent CSA events which could be contributing to the high AHI. If so, it could mean that the upper pressure limit is set too high for you, and needs to be adjusted downward. Before making any adjustments yourself, however, I would check with your physician about any other health issues you might have that could also explain the elevated number of CSA events.
It might take a bit longer to feel better. Some people never get over the daytime sleepiness. I'm glad you're sticking with the AUTO. Good job.
How are you sleeping? I used to think that strapping on the mask and using the machine 100% of sleep time was always the answer (you still need to do this).
If you're not getting good quality sleep you won't feel better. So assess your sleep habits and if you're not sleeping soundly I would start with working on getting good sleep.
How is your AHI running? It's the best indicator we have right now (besides how you feel) for checking effectiveness of therapy.
It took me four years to stop needing Provigil/Nuvigil to stay awake during the day. I don't know what changed, but one day I didn't need it anymore. If what you're suffering (and it is truly miserable) is excessive daytime sleepiness Provigil or Nuvigil may help (there are also other drugs). They are wakefullness agents and though everyone can be affected differently I did not have side effects. The drugs did not give me energy they just helped me stay awake so that I could drive and do housework- have a life in other words.
Another thought- have you had a physical checking for other causes of fatigue.
Good luck, I admire you for sticking with it for so long when you still feel fatigued.
Locking this thread due to the original poster is most likely a previously banned member.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 259 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 548 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.