Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Pillows; Quatro Air FFM
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cmH2O; no ramp; no C-Flex
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: Lung cancer survivor since 11/2004; CPAP since 11/2015

Sex: Male

Anyone know anything about vertigo?
I have been diagnosed with non-positional vertigo. I had a severe vertigo attack (my first) in mid October of last year that required a trip to the emergency room due to the severity of the dizziness and vomiting I was experiencing (my blood Pressure went up to 178/100). I was treated and sent home a few hours later. The emergency room physician diagnosed the vertigo, attributed it to ear infections I had been fighting and prescribed several medications for allergies as well as anti-nausea medications, one of which was Diazepam (yes I know that is Valium).

I went to my PCP the next day who agreed with the diagnosis. He told me to continue the allergy regimen and to discontinue the use of the Diazepam. He replaced the Diazepam with Meclizine (less drowsy Dramamine), which is nowhere as effective as the Diazepam was in treating the dizziness and nausea associated with the vertigo. I also do a modified Semont Maneuver as well as the Epley Maneuver as many times a day as possible.

I have had several re-occurrences of vertigo even with the allergy regimen and the exercise program. The Meclizine was enough for most of the events. It was not enough for a couple of the events, however, and I had to resort to the Diazepam which I have left over from the visit to the emergency room when I had the first vertigo attack.

While I don't really want to use the Diazepam, I will if I have to, to keep the vertigo from becoming as serious as my first attack was. My PCP says the Meclizine is the best medication available for vertigo treatment. I am looking for something better than the Meclizine that doesn't have the serious side effects of the Diazepam.

Anyone have any suggestions?

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
robysue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
03-10-2016 09:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Anyone know anything about vertigo?
Have you been checked for Meniere's disease?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-10-2016 10:34 PM
pupcamper Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro

We have done a lot of testing. I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that the diagnosis for Meniers's disease is reached by ruling everything else out and even if it is Meniers's, the treatment is the same as for vertigo.

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
03-10-2016 10:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

i had a bout of vertigo whic was miraculously aborted by shoving "earplanes" into my ears in preparation for a flight. Mine however was said to be BPPV --- not really so sure about that, since it followed ear infection and may not have involved any tiny ear stones.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
03-11-2016 01:01 AM
holden4th Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto with Bluetooth
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Remstar Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11- 15 APAP

Other Comments:

From my own experience, I'd say the ear infections are the most likely culprit. In my case a severe ear infection eventually caused Bell's Palsy. When the palsy went away, I still had vertigo and balance issues but these have now disappeared. It took a long while for this to happen. I know you said that the vertigo is non-positional but is it motion induced?

I've never heard of mild depressants being prescribed for vertigo. My doctor put me on Stemetil which worked quite well.
03-11-2016 05:10 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
pupcamper Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro

We are in a holding pattern for now, hoping the problem will resolve itself. So far, the dizziness spells do appear to be getting less frequent. The symptoms show regardless of position and at this point while motion does cause dizziness, it doesn't appear to cause the attack. During an attack it is definitely non positional. So far we haven't been able to prove that only one side is involved. If I keep having vertigo, we will start testing again to see if we can find out for sure what is going on. I think the diagnosis is probably correct and the vertigo will gradually go away. My concern is controlling the symptoms as quickly as possible. I don't even like taking aspirin so the idea of taking something like diazepam really concerns me. I think I will continue using the meclizine and only use the diazepam when meclizine can't resolve the dizziness. During my research I found that diazepam is commonly used in the treatment of vertigo and Meniere's disease. No more of it than I will be using the chances of adverse reactions occurring are very small, but still possible. I'm just trying to find other options. So far anything I have found stronger than meclizine is is in the same class as the diazepam.

03-11-2016 12:21 PM
holden4th Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto with Bluetooth
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Remstar Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11- 15 APAP

Other Comments:

A month after my bypass I had attacks in bed where if I moved my head it would suddenly feel like I had very quickly rotated through 360 degrees - extremely disconcerting. Stemetil (prochloroperazine) was prescribed and did a great job of treating both the vertigo and the nausea that went with it. It also,worked for me after I had Bell's palsy which also can give you attacks of vertigo.
03-11-2016 10:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board