Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UPS for Resmed S9
UPS for Resmed S9
Greetings,

I live in an area suffering from power cut during night time. It has been the case for over a month and I am almost not sleeping at all as I have a severe OSA and currently suffering mentally and physically…

I am searching to buy a UPS system and was looking at eaton ellipse pro 1600. Would you please advise if this is a suitable solution to allow operation of the S9 (with or without H5i) for at least 5 hours? Otherwise would you please advise of an appropriate specs of a UPS system?

I appreciate your help and urgent support since my treatment is interrupted since more than one month.

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UPS for Resmed S9
Hi fadyachkar!  -  Welcome
For short periods of power outage, a UPS will suffice.  Due to the total inefficient power conversion, periods of 5 hours will be really pushing it.  Unless you have other reasons for needing a UPS, like for a computer, a dedicated battery system would be more cost-effective and power efficient.  

After searching for the model you listed (around $200 - $500), you could have a full time battery setup.  Try searching Amazon for KFD 3 Pin DC Adapter in Car Charger for Resmed S9 Series (around $32). You add a Battery Tender (.75 Amp - $40) (like a battery charger but for long term use) and a 12-volt battery, and you're good to go,  I have been using my CPAP like this for several years.  I never know when I lose power during the night.  Also, based on my battery size, I can be without power for about a week or longer.   My system was designed for those once-in-a-while ice storms.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That would be my answer as well. A UPS isn't designed to power a PAP unless a short time. Consider a different battery setup, maybe something including a high capacity deep cycle battery and a charger of some sort.

When I think of a UPS, I think of battery backup for electronics like a computer, some that can power it for hours and others just long enough to shut the PC down safely. This usage scenario presents a different energy draw than an electric motor in a PAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The easiest solution i would consider is buying a portable power station like a jackery 500 or something similar. Just make sure if you decide to buy one that it does not turn off on low voltage draw. Some of the power stations will turn off after like 4 hours if the appliance that is plugged in does not draw a lot of power. Depending on humidifier and pressure settings will change how long the power station can run (mine can last about 3 nights). I also would suggest to use a dc power cable instead of ac one for your cpap if using a power station.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW - I have a APC Smart UPS 1500 I got a few years ago. We seldom lost power, but more was concerned that the power in bad weather will dim or flicker, which could very well be worse for sensitive electronics, so I wanted that surge and brown out protection. Well, it turns out that we lost power for a few hours during the night a few weeks ago and I slept right through it. I didn't even know it until I noticed the coffee maker's clock was off. Just under 4 hours. I didn't think it would last that long with the humidifier going.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.