Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone know of a similar forum for hearing issues?
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a similar forum that deals with hearing issues? It's a jungle out there when we reach the point when it's time to venture into hearing tests, hearing aids etc. and my safari is about to start. Any help will be genuinely appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have any info on a forum.

My wife has been a hearing aid wearer for at least the last 13 years. Like you, I've done research into different units. I'm not going to say what we ended up getting because it is different for each person depending on the level of loss and what frequencies you are deficient in. Try a bunch, in the canal are nice but limited. Behind the ear has good frequency range and features but you might see the behind the ear part. I would definitely recommend getting one you can use with a wireless adapter for the TV if you watch TV. Loop technology is good to have and I think most HA do have the telecoils now. We ran a loop under the sofa and it worked great until the amp fried from a power spike. She also has a remote for her HA. She uses that to select different programs and to turn volume up/down.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks AlanE,

The information you provided will be helpful. I am starting to dig for information, my wife and I both are needing help. Sounds like hearing aids might be complicated, especially the terminology.
Post Reply Post Reply

It could be. Try to stay away from those places that advertise in magazines. Local shops are good because you deal with an actual person and if something goes wrong with them, and they do, you can get service, cleanings and adjustments. Wax guards and batteries are two things you will go through a lot. You can get both at the local shop or from Jeff Bezos' place. Batteries are available in grocery stores but we have found that those batteries just do not last. If you can get HA with rechargeable batteries and if those batteries are common, go for that type.

I'm happy to share the things we've learned over the years. PM me if you like.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try to find the link, but if money is an issue, I was told to get hearing aids for my Mom through Costco. Yes, you need an annual membership, but that's nothing compared to the savings for the hearing aids. I understand it is not the latest and greatest, but it is also not old technology. They don't accept insurance.

Sam's club was limited to a few models by one manufacturer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been a member of: Hearing Aid Forums http://www.hearingaidforums.com for several years. You can expect to receive good advice there.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks folks, there is a very reputable medical clinic about 25 miles away with two highly qualified audiologists and our insurance will cover the evaluation. So tomorrow I'll be calling for appointments. Based on the results and their recommendations we will have something to work with. Money will be a consideration but our insurance has an allowance that will hopefully cover at least a good down payment. I will post to this thread as things progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are citizen's action groups for hard of hearing people all over the US, I forget what they are grouped under, but it is like the umbrella to our Pro Audito, formerly the BSSV, here, which is part of International Federation of Hard of Hearing People (IFHOH). Have a look around. You might start with the Florida Coordinating Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and The Foundation For Sight and Sound, Hearing Loss Association of America (also a member of IFHOH), and the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA). All of them might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2015, 01:43 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a similar forum that deals with hearing issues? It's a jungle out there when we reach the point when it's time to venture into hearing tests, hearing aids etc. and my safari is about to start. Any help will be genuinely appreciated.

Hi Stanleydean,

There's an organization called Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) and they have an excellent online forum (that I use be a moderator for) located here: http://www.myhearingloss.org. The community on this hearing loss board is very helpful.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile friendly app for the forum. que0x 2 333 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Foot Surgery Forum Melman 2 358 08-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  all posts/threads at [other forum] are symbols Ticman1 3 455 05-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Balance and Stability Issues stanleydean 0 483 03-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: stanleydean
Question Hearing Aids justMongo 13 1,712 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  RAID 1 issues justMongo 5 1,051 05-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  [Health] Eye Issues PaulaO2 7 2,485 04-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear