Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone on a fixed 20cms CPAP?
RE: Anyone on a fixed 20cms CPAP?
So is the answer to my initial question, "Anyone on a fixed 20cms CPAP", essentially "NO"?
Post Reply Post Reply
VERY few people would be on Fixed 20,
As I said earlier I was on Fixed 19 for years.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been reading here for about 16 months and have yet to see/recall a person stating that they were using a maxed-out machine that they claimed was suitable for their needs, even '...for now'.  Certainly not a fixed pressure.  

Between the large leaks and frequent arousals/awakenings that you and your machine depict, you simply aren't getting the quality of sleep that you need.  More pressure behind a mask that leaks for some reason isn't going to solve your problem any more than attempting to turn the taps up on a bathtub whose drain is unplugged will.  You need to figure out what the leaks are, when/why they happen, and then take determined and productive steps to deal with them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2019, 02:03 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I have been reading here for about 16 months and have yet to see/recall a person stating that they were using a maxed-out machine that they claimed was suitable for their needs, even '...for now'.  Certainly not a fixed pressure.  

Between the large leaks and frequent arousals/awakenings that you and your machine depict, you simply aren't getting the quality of sleep that you need.  More pressure behind a mask that leaks for some reason isn't going to solve your problem any more than attempting to turn the taps up on a bathtub whose drain is unplugged will.  You need to figure out what the leaks are, when/why they happen, and then take determined and productive steps to deal with them.

Thank you, yes. I agree that my machine is not meeting my needs.  However, I do not have a prescription for a bilevel machine. Any suggestions?

The leaks are happening when the pressure inside the lungs-sinus-mask-machine combination is stronger than the adhesive tape I use to hold the mask and mouth taping to my skin.
I have changed the tape I use to one with stronger adhesive.  I have used progressively stronger liquids to prepare my skin for the adhesives.

I am very determined.  But I am not productive, because no-one seems to have any further steps to suggest.

And yes, I am rather frustrated.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to change doctors. An ENT would also be worth seeing. I think everyone agrees, cpap at 20cm may not be the answer for anyone.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add harmony to the chorus telling you the doctor is wrong. There are many ways you could be more comfortable and treated with more effectiveness. High pressure with pressure support is much more comfortable than fixed CPAP pressure. Your doctor is lazy or recalcitrant not to listen to your complaints of discomfort and intuitively acknowledge the need for bilevel when pressure reach this high threshold. I really don't get it. Time to shop docs and ditch the duck. (quack)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have sent a message to the sleep doc to plead my case again.

I am not sure how easy it will be to change doctors.  My PCP (who I love) is tied into our local teaching hospital.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your PCP could if willing write you a relevant prescription
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2019, 09:30 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: Your PCP could if willing write you a relevant prescription

Really?  I have an appointment with her in a couple of weeks about something different.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine isn't. Feels she doesn't know enough and as such may threaten her license.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 147 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 209 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 690 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Bipap Pressure Support - Dynamic or Fixed microvax 6 885 02-19-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: microvax
  Benefits of Fixed Pressure?? Brazen 12 1,378 11-19-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Brazen
  What is the maximum pressure for the AirCurve 10 V Auto and AirCurve 10 S (fixed pres KeepSmiling 3 628 10-31-2022, 10:31 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.