Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use?
Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use?
I have been zapping the humidifier water for 30 seconds before pouring into tank, to cut time humidifier heater has to work heating water.
Anyone else do this, or bad idea as it screws up the CPAP machine settings for humidifier sensor software?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use?
I use the preheat function only because I can't tolerate cold air blowing in my nose.

Don't know if what you are doing makes a difference. I've heard of some that put
ice cubes in the tank because they want colder air.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the preheat setting on my device when using a FFM. I find it's not necessary to preheat the humidifier when using a nasal pillow mask. The cooler air that comes through the FFM before the humidifier heats up bothers me.

I don't see how what you are doing would hurt anything.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just fill with warm tap water if I want it to start off warm.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
We used to use the pre-heat, but I find it much more comfortable for the air to be cooler when I first go to sleep, particularly on warmer evenings but when the AC is not running.
I also have to keep an oscillating fan going if it's anywhere near being above 70.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I did NOT preheat the water and this morning the water level dropped to 75% level.  I guess preheating must make the cpap machine think water is hot and does not turn on heater, water cools off over night and does not evaporate, so level remains at about 100% level.

Guess trying to be smart and get warm air at start doesn't work.  Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither one of us preheats the water. However, in AZ during the summer months you can turn on the cold tap and get hot water. We usually use the bottled water from the cooler which comes out cold. 

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I really haven't been able to feel the benefit, even with my new heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might not feel the benifets from a heated hose. The heated hose helps with rainout. It keeps the humidity in the hose from returning back to water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't really think it's an issue to pour warm water in tank. Or ice cubes for that matter. Now very hot water may be a different story. And I've not done this, not that I wouldn't (warm water), just haven't. My water goes in room temperature. And yes I preheat mine always. At least since the first night when I forgot to do so. Too cold then for me.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 32 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,735 Today, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,313 Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 330 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.