Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone pre heat ttheir humidifier water before use?
I have been zapping the humidifier water for 30 seconds before pouring into tank, to cut time humidifier heater has to work heating water.
Anyone else do this, or bad idea as it screws up the CPAP machine settings for humidifier sensor software?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the preheat function only because I can't tolerate cold air blowing in my nose.

Don't know if what you are doing makes a difference. I've heard of some that put
ice cubes in the tank because they want colder air.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the preheat setting on my device when using a FFM. I find it's not necessary to preheat the humidifier when using a nasal pillow mask. The cooler air that comes through the FFM before the humidifier heats up bothers me.

I don't see how what you are doing would hurt anything.
Post Reply Post Reply

I just fill with warm tap water if I want it to start off warm.

Please organize your SleeyHead screenshots like this.
I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
We used to use the pre-heat, but I find it much more comfortable for the air to be cooler when I first go to sleep, particularly on warmer evenings but when the AC is not running.
I also have to keep an oscillating fan going if it's anywhere near being above 70.
-- Rich
Download SleepyHead here
Organize SleepyHead Data
Post SleepyHead Data from Imgur

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I did NOT preheat the water and this morning the water level dropped to 75% level.  I guess preheating must make the cpap machine think water is hot and does not turn on heater, water cools off over night and does not evaporate, so level remains at about 100% level.

Guess trying to be smart and get warm air at start doesn't work.  Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Neither one of us preheats the water. However, in AZ during the summer months you can turn on the cold tap and get hot water. We usually use the bottled water from the cooler which comes out cold. 

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I really haven't been able to feel the benefit, even with my new heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might not feel the benifets from a heated hose. The heated hose helps with rainout. It keeps the humidity in the hose from returning back to water.
Thanks
GARY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anything other than water in humidifier? Sleep Viking 11 167 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleep Viking
  [Equipment] Humidifier leak dianewoodard53 2 91 08-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  dreamstation humidifier and hose leak jacob.fullmer 3 236 08-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  dreamstation humidifier seals mjp1976 6 202 08-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Last Post: mjp1976
  Thoughts on a travel specified machine vs packing up my S9 (witout humidifier)? jason26 7 225 07-31-2017, 11:14 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question S9 humidifier issue Bradsky 7 151 07-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Bradsky
  drying humidifier amd tubes SleepyBee 7 334 06-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Sleepster