Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse?
Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse?
So I've been tired for about 6 years. I didn't think I could feel any worse as far as that goes. 
The diagnosis of Apnea made my Dr so excited because everyone was sure I'd feel so much better. They couldn't wait to get me on a CPAP, I was excited. 
But after two months I'm at the point where I think I may have to quit. It's completely destroyed my sleep.. I went through the usual mask/pressure issues etc. Zero support from the sleep Dr but thanks to online forums and help from the guy who sold the machine, we found a mask that works and changed the pressure settings. My numbers improved drastically. I can wear it all night. The machine says I'm averaging 1-2 events per hour.. but my machine doesn't support OSCAR so I can't get anything more detailed. All I know is I feel absolutely awful. The only thing I can figure is it's because I wake up so much tossing and turning with the mask on. 

I'm the only parent of two small children. The exhaustion is so bad I can barely function at all. I'm avoiding driving whenever possible. I can't remember things or carry on a conversation. At what point do you quit CPAP? 

It scares me because I know people die from apnea.. but I have to be able to take care of my kids.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse?
Let us try to help!! You need to use OSCAR - download at the top of the site, completely free. You do need a SD card (2 to 32 gb card. (Get the cheapest)

I have a link on charts in my signature that will help you with OSCAR.

POST a couple nights and I bet we can help you.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Staceyburke, your numbers may be low but your flow limits could be the culprit.
You need to get Oscar and get treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, get an SD card and then upload your data to OSCAR.

There are many times where I have considered quitting for the same reasons you mentioned. Mask issues, pressure settings etc. CPAP therapy is an active process if you truly care about making progress. In conjunction with information from OSCAR, this forum, and LeftLanky and CPAP Reviews/Jason on YT, Ive made tremendous leaps in my treatment that make a great deal of improvement in quality of life.
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP said her machine doesn't support OSCAR. This info isn't in her profile.
Post Reply Post Reply
To OP - your profile says Airsense 10 but does not specify which model. May I use an automotive analogy. Chevrolet is a car line consisting of several models (Malibu, Cruze, etc) and trim levels. Similarly, there are four machines in the Airsense 10 family:
Airsense 10 Autoset
Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Airsense 10 CPAP
Airsense 10 Elite

These machines have different data recording capabilities, so it's important.

Please look carefully at your machine and tell us which one it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
First machine was ResMed AirSense 10. I changed settings by my own. The clinic said that it's absolutely forbidden. My tries to fall a sleep were terrible. And nights were terrible. I used the machine not very much. One year I suffered that situation. Then I returned the machine back. They said that there is no alternative therapy to sleeping apnea.

Three years furher I had a surgery. And they said that I have to use cpap-machine. Then I started with many doubts. But it started to work fine at first night.

One guy on net said that maybe the first cpap machine was broken. I don't know if that is true or were my settnigs very wrong. Perhaps not, because I tried very many different settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
OP - If you have an Airsense 11 as indicated in your profile, the machine is absolutely supported by OSCAR. 

Your starting point is to download OSCAR (it's free), get an SD card into your machine, then download the data into OSCAR and post results here. With any other approach, you are taking shots in the dark. It sounds to me like you can't afford to fail -- and I don't mean the money!

This is a journey which requires time and persistence - not an overnight fix. Don't delay getting started.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am quitting. I physically cannot fall asleep with something touching my face, unless I am sedated and even then I can only fall asleep using it about 50% of the time. I am probably going to see an ENT about a dental device or surgery to stop my snoring. There is a disturbing lack of good options for this common problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2022, 07:37 PM)joepublic23 Wrote: There is a disturbing lack of good options for this common problem.

All the more reason to not give up. You will adapt if you keep trying.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 184 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,996 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.