Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse?
RE: Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse?
Report back after you see your Dr. about your blood work. It will be interesting to see if it’s your blood sugar is a little high.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse?
(08-22-2022, 05:34 PM)Patrish42 Wrote: So I had not been tallying my calories before conducting my "experiment", but I have a pretty good feel for what I was taking in (about 2000-2200 calories per day).

If you could rely on a "pretty good feel" there'd be no need for you to keep your spreadsheet.

Quote:I agree that 2.5 pounds is not a huge amount and under ordinary circumstances it could be due to fluctuations in water retention/clothing/hormones/etc., but over a period of three weeks in which I felt like I was starving myself, to me it was signficant and demoralizing, especially when added on to the 10+ pounds I have gained since April.  And for me, it was more like a 2% increase in my total weight.

Demoralizing hits the nail on the head. We likely suffered with untreated sleep apnea for many years before we were diagnosed. Our bodies had all that time and experience to adapt to that way of sleeping. It will take some time to adapt to the new circumstances. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I gained weight when I started CPAP therapy. I thought that the CPAP machine is the cure for all my troubles and let down my guard against eating too much.

Quote:For most folk, CPAP therapy is a weight-neutral undertaking, but there are some studies showing that a very small subset of people DO gain a modest amount of weight.  The conclusion drawn in some of these is that multiple apnea events each night raise the individual's Basal Metabolic Rate and once the apneas are resolved, the BMR drops and weight creeps up. 

That could be what happened to me, but you have not had any significant change in your weight. It could be that you are more conscientious about your diet than me so haven't experienced the weight gain that I did.

But it doesn't matter! All of this is transient. It's part of the adaptation process. Just maintain your exercise and diet regime and CPAP use and it will all resolve itself.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 10 384 04-07-2024, 03:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 386 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 736 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 405 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 2,110 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 356 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 976 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.