Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse?
RE: Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse?
I may quit for another reason.  I readily adapted to CPAP usage.  Since starting in April I have gained about 15 lbs.  Recently I cut my calories.  For 21 days I logged every morsel I ate or drank onto an Excel Spreadsheet.  I tallied the calories and averaged 1006 calories per day.  I continued my usual exercise regimen of 45 to 60 minutes 5-6 times daily.  On day #22, I weighed myself in at the gym and found that I  had gained 2.5 lbs in that 21 day period!!  Sad   My doctor ran some blood work and I will see her next week for an office visit.  I know keeping apnea under control is important, but I am unwilling to accept this tradeoff!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem with weight, after monitoring my blood work , what stands out is my A1c and glucose levels. They are a little high but not pre diabetic. I’m going to request starting Metformin, I think this will help and put me on a even keel. I exercise also and eat properly but just can’t lose a few extra pounds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your feedback; will ask my doc if metformin might help.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no idea why the weight gain. Whe I started I had a lot more energy and over the next year I lost 110 lbs. many years later I have gained about 7 pounds back. I have been using Cpap for about 25 years.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using chin strap, or tape to keep air from going out your mouth?  Have you ever tried a full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my machine for 5 years and only used it a couple handful of times because the full face mask was so uncomfortable and I couldn't keep it on for more than a couple hours. When I got the machine it was set way to high and I called the doctor and set the pressure so low it was lousy so I adjusted the settings myself and that didn't work either. So I just stopped all together.
Last week an old friend got in touch with me after about 20 years and come to find out he was an expert on CPAP machines. He had me to adjust the settings and told me to get a nasal mask (Dreamwear). Only used it for 4 days so far but it's the 1st time I've kept it on for 7 hours. My numbers are looking better now and I'm feeling better. Hope this helps.

Also seems like after they've made their sell, they're happy.

I'm still learning also.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, full face masks are notorious for leaks and a terrible user experience.

In the vast majority of cases, patients are better served by using a nasal mask instead.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
AlaskanJaeger,

Welcome    Please don't give up!  If you have any form of apnea that is not treated your health will not be as good as it should be.  Here are some things to consider:

1. What machine are you actually using?  Your information on this site shows that you have some sort of Resmed AirSense 10 machine.  If so what model is it?  Is it a Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset?  If so, your machine certainly does support OSCAR.  There are instructions on how to set it up and use it all over this site.  If you use it, the people here will be able to advise you much better than if you don't use it.

2.  Two months is not nearly enough time to give up on using a pap machine.  Many, many folks have trouble adjusting to using their machines at first.  But things WILL get better if you follow the advice here.  Honestly.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2022, 11:46 AM)Patrish42 Wrote: I may quit for another reason.  I readily adapted to CPAP usage.  Since starting in April I have gained about 15 lbs.  Recently I cut my calories.  For 21 days I logged every morsel I ate or drank onto an Excel Spreadsheet. 

Did you tally your calorie intake before CPAP? How do you know you haven't increased it? You say you cut calories, but is that based on data or just a conclusion you've drawn from your memory of what you used to eat compared to now.

Quote:I continued my usual exercise regimen of 45 to 60 minutes 5-6 times daily.  On day #22, I weighed myself in at the gym and found that I  had gained 2.5 lbs in that 21 day period!!  Sad   My doctor ran some blood work and I will see her next week for an office visit. 

That difference of 2.5 lb is pretty small. For me it's only 1% of my weight and can change by that much from morning to afternoon, or just by a change of clothes..

Quote:I know keeping apnea under control is important, but I am unwilling to accept this tradeoff!!

First of all, there's no trade off. There's no evidence that CPAP usage causes weight gain.

Secondly, what's the point of maintaining a healthy weight if you are just going to kill yourself with untreated sleep apnea? You increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, and death. Meanwhile you lead a miserable sleep-deprived life.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster, for your thoughtful and comprehensive reply.
  • So I had not been tallying my calories before conducting my "experiment", but I have a pretty good feel for what I was taking in (about 2000-2200 calories per day).
  • I agree that 2.5 pounds is not a huge amount and under ordinary circumstances it could be due to fluctuations in water retention/clothing/hormones/etc., but over a period of three weeks in which I felt like I was starving myself, to me it was signficant and demoralizing, especially when added on to the 10+ pounds I have gained since April.  And for me, it was more like a 2% increase in my total weight.
  • For most folk, CPAP therapy is a weight-neutral undertaking, but there are some studies showing that a very small subset of people DO gain a modest amount of weight.  The conclusion drawn in some of these is that multiple apnea events each night raise the individual's Basal Metabolic Rate and once the apneas are resolved, the BMR drops and weight creeps up.  Not sure if this is what is happening in my case, but since losing a large amount of weight about 16 years ago, I have managed to keep my weight fairly level, and when it has drifted upwards I have been able to get back on track with modest adjustments to my food intake.  This time around making extended DRASTIC drops in my caloric intake just didn't work!  No new meds, etc.; the only change has been the CPAP.
  • And I spoke too rashly in expressing my displeasure re: the weight gain; it's clear that CPAP therapy and I will be partners for life through THICK or THIN  Oh-jeez
Thanks again for taking the time to respond  Smile     Much appreciated!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 184 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 332 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,997 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.