Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air?
RE: Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air?
Guess you are right about the air needing to escape somewhere, and although I guess since I feel no air coming out it must be trapped - It is definitely quite, but want a little more air noises at the elbow so I know that air is being expelled out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, I removed the packing from one of my quiet elbows and will try to use it without it tonight - guess it won’t be “quiet” but might get my some added CO2 exhausting and feel better in the morning ??
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll be interested to hear your report.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update - I cut out the quiet elbow packing, I have pictures but don’t know how to attach them, and there are some black dots (mildew?) around the white packing and directly under the round vent holes, but not as many as some other vent-packing pictures I have seen on other posts. Anyway, definitely louder airflow sounds, and more air expelling/seeping, but I can’t tell yet whether I feel Better yet. I’ll give it a week...
Post Reply Post Reply
You can check the file attachment wiki here
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

There will be a size limit to pay attention to. Most likely, you should begin to create a new post, type what you want to say in the post, and then below that you'd follow the process of Attaching a file:
Choose file>Add attachment>Insert into post.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SarcasticDave94 for photo attachment directions -

Added picture of mildewed packing to my post on quiet elbow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. I do see the dots beginning on your packing material. I think it seems time plays a factor in how dark and/or developed they'll appear.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surprised 
Pulled the packing from my other elbow too, yuck - repacked them with narrow strips of filter material.  As an experiment, I will not be submerging them in water just wiping them down with wipes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hydrangea, [url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/User-Hydrangea][/url]

I had the same problem with the F20 diffuser. I typically use an N20 but wanted to get an FFM for nights when I'm congested. I got a new F20 mask on Saturday and noticed that I started waking up with a headache every morning just like I used to before CPAP. Also my respiration rate went up a point and my tidal volume went down 40 points from when I used the N20. Both of which are signs of excess CO2. I even ripped the straps off my mask one night which I've never done. After seeing a post on the forum about diffuser flow issues, I checked and could feel absolutely no air coming from the diffuser. I decided to get rid of the foam diffusion material to see if I could increase the flow.

I cut a 1/2 flap on the diffuser cap to see what it looked like and pulled out the foam. I ran a test and got lots of air but it was very noisy so I decided it was time for an engineering modification to see if I could get more air but also keep it quiet. I got my smallest drill bit and drilled out all the holes. I approximately doubled the size of the holes. Then I stuffed the original foam back in and did a test run.  I got lots of air but it was very loud. So I  got a cpap filter and cut two 1/4 inch strips and stuffed them under the cap with a piece of wire. The result was no noise but no air. So I pulled out the felt like filter material and pulled each of them apart as much as possible to make them less dense. Then I stuffed them back under the cap. Ran a test and it was quiet but I could now feel air. I then super glued the flap back to the cap. Woke up this morning feeling refreshed. I forgot to plug my flash in last night so couldn't check to see if my respiration rate and tidal volume have improved, but I'll find out tomorrow morning. I think I know the answer.

From what I've read everyone handles CO2 differently. Some people need to rebreath more CO2 to avoid Central Apneas especially with higher pressure support. But I think it is entirely possible to get too much. Symptoms of too much CO2 are reduced respiratory drive (tidal volume), increased respiratory rate, and headache. I experienced all these symptoms. Note I'm kind of a leak fanatic and even wear an elastic head band over the F20 to keep it tight. I rarely show any leaks on my graphs. I may reconsider my position on leaks after this little episode.  Maybe a little leaking is not such a bad thing.

Regards,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome info, Dave! I'm glad for that validation, and that I'm not imagining things. But bummer that others are experiencing this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 347 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 12 5,545 10-29-2023, 05:48 AM
Last Post: yankees123
  Need help with F20 Airfit leaks (elbow?) jaytee80 4 1,275 09-22-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 667 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Is there a quiet portable CPAP machine? mcman56 0 461 07-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: mcman56
  All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only. HMG7450 17 2,446 05-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30 Catherine101 179 36,198 05-06-2023, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Jay Belmont

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.