Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone sleep on their stomach to help their AHI?
Anyone sleep on their stomach to help their AHI?
So I been experimenting with my AHI constantly, and what makes a good nights sleep for me. One thing that I noticed is that I sleep well on my stomach. I never really slept on my stomach before CPAP but I can get my AHI down to .4 when sleeping on my stomach vs a normal night for me is about 3-4 AHI. My leaks are much higher when sleeping in this position but still under the magic 24L point.

Anyone else sleep on their stomach? I heard it was bad for your back, but I haven't noticed any problems really.

I am thinking of buying one of those massage tables with the hole in the face part so I can sleep on my stomach 100 percent of the time Smile (just joking). But I thought about it..lol

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone sleep on their stomach to help their AHI?
SnuffySleeper, I used to sleep on my stomach before being diagnosed, sleeping on your stomach keeps your tongue forward so stops the collapsing which causes apnea's. It was the only way I could sleep. I haven't heard that it's bad for your back.
Post Reply Post Reply
On my stomach was the only way I could sleep before treatment.

I've swapped to a half side / half stomach sleep now. If I sleep completely on my stomach, my face angles into the pillow too much and creates leaks and blocks my vent. Well, blocks is a strong word, maybe obstructs? It makes a more noise, but I don't think it's dangerous.
Post Reply Post Reply
On my side, nasal pillow's pinned to my head on both ears. No leaks, I move a lot when I sleep. My AHI is low this way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried sleeping on my stomach the other day. The cats used me for a teeter-totter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a stomach sleeper too. If I sleep on my back, my AHI and pressure do go up. My events have been pretty well controlled with APAP; pressure will go up to 17 or so (avg 15) and AHI can range from 2.5-6 from a average AHI of .7 and average pressure of about 10; high of 13.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 06:09 PM)Tez62 Wrote: SnuffySleeper, I used to sleep on my stomach before being diagnosed, sleeping on your stomach keeps your tongue forward so stops the collapsing which causes apnea's. It was the only way I could sleep. I haven't heard that it's bad for your back.

I too was a stomach sleeper before CPAP treatment started, and yes, as a fat guy, it created back issues for me...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to mix things up. I'm probably more of a side sleeper (in general), but with a more pliable mask I can and do sleep on my stomach sometimes. I don't find any pains in my back, but I do find my trapezius muscles can be a bit sore (likely from having to move the head a bit more to accommodate the mask).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 06:03 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Anyone else sleep on their stomach? I heard it was bad for your back, but I haven't noticed any problems really.

Yup. I do get lower back problems. It only becomes painful after months without giving my spine some relief by using pillows and by bending legs to sleep more on the side. Core strength resistance training also helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, yeah. I WISH I could sleep on my back. Cannot go to sleep. No matter how long I try or how comfortable I feel or how good it feels to my back. I roll over onto my belly and usually asleep in what has to be less than 5 minutes.

Used to be a back sleeper, but ALWAYS heard about how badly I snored. As the years passed and the pounds stayed, I got to be a side sleeper and then a belly sleeper. Have to believe that was as the apnea was growing more and more a part of my sleep or sleepless patterns. And some problems with hip and knee joints in certain reclining positions thrown in for giggles.

Actually, it is kind of like the "recovery position" learned in first aid: on belly with one knee pulled slightly up and head resting on my arm to make room for mask and hose.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,152 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 633 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 573 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.