Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone start on CPAP and then add oxygen?
Anyone start on CPAP and then add oxygen?
Hi folks, 

Has anyone started out on CPAP for a period of time and then add an O2 concentrator?

I have been on CPAP now for about 9 months and while it has helped sleep very well I was still waking up exhausted and dragging arse all day long.  After a consultation with my doctor a couple of weeks ago we did an overnight O2 check and was averaging about 92% with lows at 87%;  I am on oxygen now in conjunction with the CPAP for about a week.   I am noticing much better improvement in my daily energy and maybe the combo of these two is what works best for me.  Part of the issue is the thin air of where I live which is just under 10,000 feet altitude.

Before my sleep test a year ago and getting on CPAP, my doctor had me on oxygen but the low energy days were prevalent.  It was after this that she had me do the sleep test and CPAP anticipating an increase in O2 levels.

Has anyone here done similar to what I describe?  Has it helped? 

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone start on CPAP and then add oxygen...?
It worked the other way around for me. I was on Oxygen than CPAP. My oxygen levels improved and I came off Oxygen. I didn't have to deal with the altitude you have though. How are your O2 levels during the day?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know what the day time levels are as I do not have any hardware to check. The one I rent for the overnight test is a wired one and kinda' cumbersome. I guess I could get it and check the daily levels at various times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm kinda of surprised your Doctor didn't check your O2 level when you saw him/her. I'd check it with either the rental or by a oximeter. They run about $25 to $25 at Walmart and Kmart. Also online. Easy to use and good to have.
If your O2 levels are running low during the day make sure to let your Doctor know.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla makes a good point. Every doctor, excluding my dentist, checks my O2 level while taking my vitals on every visit.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I misunderstood... I thought the question was in reference to what was the O2 at any given time such as now at my office. The levels at the doctors office is generally about 92-93%.

I have an O2 machine reserved next Thursday for the overnight test- I can pick it up at noon and I will check it whilst at work a couple of times.
Post Reply Post Reply
What's your AHI numbers look like?  Usually CPAP corrects low O2 rates at night. It's the Apnea's that drive the Oxygen levels lower. If your day time O2 levels aren't dropping I'm guessing your pressure settings on your machine aren't getting the job done. You should post your data on here so the Advisors can take a look.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I am still getting used to what "all the data" means.  I did post charts for the first time HERE.

I only tested mild apneas on the sleep test (I think it was an average of 11 per hour) and with current CPAP use it is .68  (that is if I am understanding it right.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Chart looked OK to me.  Your O2 rate during the daytime is a little low but within safe levels.  So all I can say is I don't know! No surprise there.
Any advisors in the building??
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
So I have been on O2 at night with CPAP for a couple of weeks now and will record the overnight levels tonight... but I did pick up the oxy machine and checked levels a couple of times today at my office. I am seeing readings in the 94-95% level with highs as much as 96 and lowest reading of 90%. A lot better than before, will be curious on the overnight numbers and what the doctors says.

I have noticed better daily functions and alertness since being on oxygen... wonder what my long term hardware and equipment will be going forward?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 613 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 888 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,231 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 343 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 503 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,034 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 395 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.