Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone stopped using their CPAP for a night? Whats it feel like?
RE: Anyone stopped using their CPAP for a night? Whats it feel like?
SteveSP,
Your post is similar to my experiences.   I've always been 100% compliant, but on the few occasions I've had to try and sleep without is pure misery.  

If our electricity goes out, there's no way I even let myself fall asleep without Cpap.  If I do, I am jerked awake every few minutes.  Can't be good for the heart.  

I have stocked up on supplies and kept my old 60 series machine just in case my current breaks down.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We had a big damaging ice storm earlier in the year and lucked out with only one night of no electricity. Untreated I was 30.8. I have a battery backup and had charged it, but decided to try going without since I don't have a converter for the Resmed and didn't want to dig out the old Phillips. To my surprise I did fine. My problem with untreated apnea wasn't sleeping at night but falling asleep while driving.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have gone gone without the CPAP at home and camping and a few night over the past two years.  Each time is holy hell.  I can fall asleep but jump awake snoring within 15-20 minutes.  I describe it as sleeping really good for 15 minutes about 30 times a night.  I can't even take a nap on the couch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great topic. But I think more relevance to the answers could be had by including in the question - What is your untreated AHI and what type of apnea do you have?

Mine is mixed apnea and 40 AHI untreated.

I have gone without my ASV for three nights with minimal ill effects. I can still fall asleep easily, but I do have to get up frequently to go to the bathroom. (One of the more interesting and annoying side effects of sleep apnea of which I do experience) After the third night I start to slowly revert to feeling tired sooner throughout the day. For some reason, my body seems to react very slowly to this change. However when I resume ASV therapy, my improvement seems almost instant.

The good part is that if I can't seem to get a good night sleep for one or two nights, it has little effect on the way I feel throughout the day.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I've woken up 3 times with cpap not running.  First one was in a hotel in Miami, and they shut the power off.  Gave them heck.

Other two times were when cpap stopped. (Or some gremlin shut it off.)

In over 30 years I've missed one night.  That was on a ferry returning from Newfoundland to the mainland.  There was no place to plug in my cpap.  I stayed up.

In Massachusetts I was on vacation in a hotel.  Power went out during a thunder storm.  Power came back on--tv didn't work.  My cpap was powered from the same receptacle.  It was plugged in to a surge protector on a long extension cord.  Message:  I always use a surge protector/exension cord when I'm using my cpap.

I'm Canadian.  If my cpap quits or lets the smoke out while travelling in the US I would need to return to Canada and cut my vacation short.  US vendors have told me they require an prescription by a US sleep doctor. Car is too small to carry a spare cpap.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, It feels just like staying up all night. Simply because my base AHI kicks in (77 last time, 90's before that) and I get less than 2hrs of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon I bet it takes days of regular sleep with your mask on to make up for that one night of sleep deprivation.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Probably, but I'm one of the lucky ones that feels "instantly" better with even 1 night of CPAP.
After my last diagnostic test (which was supposed to be a split study, but not enough sleep time even to state I failed, let alone let me finish out on a pap machine. I had to sit in the car for an hour and a half to wake up enough to be able to drive home.
Pre CPAP I can still remember the rumble strips on the side of main street waking me up, sorry, main street had driveways, not rumble strips. Yes I was in denial at the time (diagnostic 90+, Rx CPAP(brick) at 19), and I was one of those 'road hazards'. So for all those listening in, PAP can make a huge difference very quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've made great gains since I decided to listen to the people here.

but historically, and until I got my S10 last August, I was sleep deprived.

I had bad sleep habits too. I'd go to bed late, even though I had to get up every morning about 6:30 a.m. at the latest.

Not with apap things are better. I'm making gains. And I'm feeling better when I wake up.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, me too.

Had been planning to take a break from xPAP for a while, but...

On the 27th April I was trialling different trigger and cycle settings on the Vauto.
Woke up at 05H30 not doing too well, some headache, chest pressures, vivid dreams etc.

Removed mask, planning to take a break and just lie in bed for a while.

Woke up after 2 hours without CPAP feeling even worse: self-waking with snoring, same old headache, brain fog, feeling shattered, convinced me more than ever I need xPAP!

@Raybee: AHI untreated 40+ mainly OA and HA, many years of snoring and apneas (just ask my wife)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 194 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,135 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 902 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.