Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone try myofunctional / orofacial excercises to reduce AHI ?
Anyone try myofunctional / orofacial excercises to reduce AHI ?
Hi everybody, 

I have a complicated case of UARS and use CPAP but am never full refreshed. Have tried almost everything and aerophagia limits my pressure below full therapy levels. 

Now, has anyone tried myofunctional therapy / orofacial excercises ? If so, which ones have you done ? Anyone have links to good videos or instructions ? 

I'd like to do this as an adjunct therapy to CPAP, and also exercise four times a week from now on. 

This meta review shows promise for myofunctional therapy : https://academic.oup.com/sleep/article/38/5/669/2416863

Thanks for any pointers / advice all! 

D
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone try myofunctional / orofacial excercises to reduce AHI ?
I tried it and decided that any benefit was minimal. I read that the average person swallows between 900 and 2000 time a day. Plus consider all the talking a person does and that adds up to a lot of exercise for the mouth and throat already. It won't hurt you to try it but I'd keep the expectations low.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Post redacted. I need to take a second look.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DS123. Yes, I have been using the exercises with good results. The main ones that I do are on You tube. They were put together by the University of South Dakota.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mogy, thanks! Those are the ones I found a couple years back, good to know you're using them with some success.

I started doing it a while back, but it seemed a bit much after a while, couldn't get myself to do it. Now I'm committed, so I know I'll go through with it for a few months and see if it helps.

Did you follow their schedule ? How often do you do it / how long each day ?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I didn't follow their schedule. I can do all but 3 of them while I am driving to work, so I do them all once a day 5 days a week.
I was very good following my schedule for the first 3 months. I was retested and had good results. I haven't done as well with the exercises since, but I plan to be retested in March.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 406 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 345 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 912 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to reduce drooling? ATeam91 6 471 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise dil950 1 627 12-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RSki
  How do I reduce machine noise with the P30i mask? TiredTom111 3 779 08-07-2023, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.