Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone use oral appliance with CPAP ?
Anyone use oral appliance with CPAP ?
Hi everybody, has anyone tried using both cpap and a MAD device ? do you think using both helps, and do you think it would lower the cpap pressure required ? 

I already have an oral appliance, but I cannot use it alone because the advancement I need is too much for my jaw to handle. 

Also, CPAP alone just doesn't cut it for me. Because of aerophagia, I cannot get the pressure up to the therapeutic pressure I need. 

I think using an oral appliance + cpap would lower my pressure requirement and lower the advancement required of the oral appliance. What do you all think ? Anyone have experience in this ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone use oral appliance with CPAP ?
I’m in the same boat as you. I have complex sleep apnea so I have obstructs and centrals. I had nasal septum surgery about a year ago and also had a herbst advancement device that I have been using for about 3months. I have just recently started back trying to incorporate the cpap treatment back into my regimen with the mouth piece. I also still have a problem with swallowing air, tonight I am going to try cervical collar and see if that helps. My ahi is about 6 with mostly hyp and UA. I think using the appliance has helped me.
Does yours have rubber bands to keep mouth closed. Mine is advanced to 2.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to cpap, was using boil and bite oral appliance for years. Initially used it when started cpap, but hard to fit mask. Would wake up chewing on the appliance. Started to use cervical collar also.
Finally stopped the oral appliance due to TMJ inflammation, and now just use the collar.
TMJ problems went away, mask fits better. No change in pressure or number of events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a MAD at first but after a few years of checkups they decided to give me a CPAP as my apneas was still too many. I have a nosemask so in theory I should not need the MAD but I have grown used to it and I think it also helps me to keep mouth shut when taping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2019, 06:58 PM)harre Wrote: I had a MAD at first but after a few years of checkups they decided to give me a CPAP as my apneas was still too many. I have a nosemask so in theory I should not need the MAD but I have grown used to it and I think it also helps me to keep mouth shut when taping.

Thanks Harre, interesting you find it helps to keep your mouth closed. I transitioned to a nasal mask about a month ago, and find my MAD doesn't leave me enough tongue space to keep the seal. I tape as well and use chinstrap, but then with the MAD my cheeks keep blowing up with air which wakes me up. Which MAD appliance do you use ? 

I'm thinking about getting the new dreamtap which has more tongue space than my current and other devices : http://tapintosleep.com/2016/10/18/dreamtap-features/

@justbreathe 

Mine doesn't have rubber bands. Another reason I'm thinking about getting the dreamtap which keeps the mouth closed. Which model do you use ? 

I have UARS, and as such, it's hard to diagnose how well I'm sleeping beyond how I feel (mostly flow limitations, rather than AHI). 

Please let me know how the cervical collar works out for you. This is another option I'm willing to try, but it takes me a week at least of bad sleep to get used to new sleep introductions, so I'd need a slow week at work to try that out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2019, 03:43 AM)DS123 Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 06:58 PM)harre Wrote: I had a MAD at first but after a few years of checkups they decided to give me a CPAP as my apneas was still too many. I have a nosemask so in theory I should not need the MAD but I have grown used to it and I think it also helps me to keep mouth shut when taping.

Thanks Harre, interesting you find it helps to keep your mouth closed. I transitioned to a nasal mask about a month ago, and find my MAD doesn't leave me enough tongue space to keep the seal. I tape as well and use chinstrap, but then with the MAD my cheeks keep blowing up with air which wakes me up. Which MAD appliance do you use ? 

I'm thinking about getting the new dreamtap which has more tongue space than my current and other devices : http://tapintosleep.com/2016/10/18/dreamtap-features/

@justbreathe 

Mine doesn't have rubber bands. Another reason I'm thinking about getting the dreamtap which keeps the mouth closed. Which model do you use ? 

I have UARS, and as such, it's hard to diagnose how well I'm sleeping beyond how I feel (mostly flow limitations, rather than AHI). 

Please let me know how the cervical collar works out for you. This is another option I'm willing to try, but it takes me a week at least of bad sleep to get used to new sleep introductions, so I'd need a slow week at work to try that out.

My mad is custom made using a mold from my dentist they make it just a 2-3cm opening in the front so there's not much pressure on my cheeks as the MAD blocks most of my teeth except for the molars in the back.

My MAD looks like somthing like this
https://www.citytand.se/wp-content/uploa...d-apne.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
Question CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance? GrantT 4 471 11-16-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 322 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler
  Oral Dental Appliance RandomPilar 47 11,756 06-21-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: ZacMirror
  [Equipment] oral appliance instead of CPAP? singergal67 9 1,036 06-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health Liteheart1 10 1,778 09-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Liteheart1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.