Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone using RESmart Auto-CPAP?
Anyone using RESmart Auto-CPAP?
I received my RESmart Auto-CPAP machine a week ago and it has not been a happy experience.

First of all, does anyone have the clinician manual that tells you how to change the settings yourself? If so, I would appreciate it if you could send me a link to the manual.

When I received the machine, is was set for Ramp 10 05 - 05. The first night I used it, after the 10 minute start-up period, it steadily ramped up to 15, the maximum setting. It is an auto CPAP machine, so I thought it was supposed to automatically adjust downward if I stopped breathing and then started breathing again. It never did so. I could blow forcefully out and breathe deeply in, but it just kept blowing and blowing. It blew so hard that I could not force my breath out. I just kept breathing in and in and eventually, I had to exhale forcefully out of my mouth. I shut the machine off to reset it to start and turned it back on and the same thing happened again. One time I looked at the monitor and it showed a setting of 11.1 and the air was flowing so much I couldn't breathe at that level. In any event after about 4 hours of fighting to exhale, I turned the machine off and gave up for the night. The other times the setting was 15.

The next night, a Sunday, i had the same experience, giving up after 3 hours since I had to go to work the next day. My cheeks would puff up with air and I would have to breathe through my mouth to relax. Fortunately, my parter was out of town until the Monday night, so he didn't have to put up with the noise of the wind and switching the machine on and off.

I called the service provider who are a 45 minute drive from my home and on Wednesday, took the machine in. They said the machine must have ramped up because I had stopped breathing. They read the card which I suppose confirmed. They gave me another mask to see if that would help - - one that covered my nose and mouth. (The original one was the prong device.) The new mask was worse. It ramped up the same, but now I was burping constantly, and my abdomen had sharp pains and felt distended. It felt like when I was a kid and would gulp air in order to burp. I suffered for about 3 hours, resetting it about 4 times and then shut the machine down. When i took the mask off, the air just kept blowing like crazy. I thought the machine was supposed to shut down automatically when the mask was removed? My partner said the "wind" and noise from the mask woke him up. He said the machine seemed to be cycling gently when he fell asleep, but he woke up because of the uninterrupted noise later and whining from the mask as I tried to keep catching the new leaks. The mask could not contain the air. The small perforated area could not handle the large volume of air. It seemed like physics to me - - I couldn't breathe in all the air that was being forced into the mask and the perforated area was too small to let the rest of it out. Therefore, the mask leaked like crazy and whined and hissed as I tried to plug the latest leak. Needless to say, I was not getting any sleep during any of this.

Yesterday, I called the supplier and made the 45 minute trip again. This time, they converted the APAP machine to a CPAP machine. They changed the setting to RAMP 45 05 - 11. Last night, the pressure seemed very uneven. Every time I breathed in, the airflow stopped before I had a full breath which kept me awake even before the ramping started. Like before, the pressure was way too high for me. I had all of the same problems of the previous night - - the burping, distended abdomen, overpowering airflow and hissing mask.

Is this normal? The second mask is a ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask.

I'm really getting tired of taking the 45 minute drives and hope that someone has the self-adjustment manual or can tell me that this is normally how experiences with APAP/CPAP machines start but they magically get better quickly.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone using RESmart Auto-CPAP?
I believe you can find what you need at the link on the top of the page;

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Hope that helps, otherwise someone else should be by to help.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I didn't realize it was there under BMC.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ProblemSleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough start with your therapy. Hopefully the manual will help you straighten things out so your CPAP experience will be better.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Problem Sleeper, sorry to hear about your trouble. You're welcome to call our tech support line if you still experience any trouble adjusting. We are always interested in hearing from our patients.

By way of background...

The 3B/BMC unit is sold in 120 countries. While relatively new to the U.S., BMC has been focused on sleep for quite a while. The company had its start as a manufacturer of sleep lab polysomnography equipment, and then as an OEM manufacturer.

In terms of noise level, the unit tests at 28 db which is extremely quiet.

The units all have full clinical efficacy and compliance reporting, one of the easiest menu systems, and one of the lowest warranty return rates in the industry. You are welcome to email at info@3Bproducts.com. We'd be happy to help with any questions, comments, or compliance issues. You're also invited to PM me. 3B/Customer Service Rep
Post Reply Post Reply
ProblemSleeper,

I hope you have found an answer and, most of all, some Relief from the high pressures.

Best regards,
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not seen that before (service rep). Not sure it has anything to do with the machine? Getting used to therapy and masks can be rough. I used a lower end (not full data capable) version of theirs for six months. What would you change on the setting? If you can't take it you may try to lower pressure and stay off you back at all cost, as that will cause the most events. That would be better than quitting. I never used the ramp so I could know the mask was sealed right away. Stay in contact with your providers and get this figured out.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
After reading this thread, i am still unable to locate the clinical manual for this device. Which one is it?
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
you will need to read and follow the instructions in the CPAP Setup Manuals page. Your manual is listed near the bottom of the page under Other Manuals.

I found it 3rd in the list -

portion of the page -->
webpage Wrote:Other Manuals:
HDM (Human Design Medical) Z1 CPAP
HDM (Human Design Medical) Z1 Auto CPAP
3B Products RESmart CPAP & Auto-CPAP (combined manual)
InnoMed-Aire CPAP
AEIOmed Everest 2 CPAP (Patient & Clinician Quickstart Guide)
AEIOmed Everest 3 CPAP (Complete Clinician Manual)
Invacare Polaris EX with-SoftX
Breas iSleep 20i

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your auto is set up as a single pressure Cpap with ramp enabled. Once it ramps up to 15 over the time period set its going to stay at 15. Get in the settings and set it to auto with a min pressure also.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 580 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 588 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apex XT Auto CPAP - Error 003 - Factory Reset? zephyr325 0 853 05-24-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: zephyr325

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.