Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone using TurboTax this year? DON'T
TurboTax was originally written in Turbo-Pascal by a former Air Force Officer, Mike Chipman.
He formed ChipSoft; and the release was just at the right time.

I've used the program for years.  ChipSoft sold to Intuit.  I guess Mike knew when to get out.

This year TTax is bloody awful.  State tax forms still say "DO NOT FILE -- FORM NOT FINAL".
Customer service is a 50 minute wait.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's still early Feb. It's pretty common for IRS and State forms to not be completed until end of year because the tax laws can still change up to the last minute. Then they have to be converted into whatever form tax preparation companies use, tested and validated for accuracy, then downloaded as updates. It's possible an election year made a difference, too.

I use TaxCut. I haven't fired it up just yet, but I bet it has MB of updated forms to download.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used Turbo Tax for many years, and never had problems. Just bought my TT software today, and may start to do taxes this weekend. Hope it goes well!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

(02-03-2017, 04:02 PM)justMongo Wrote: State tax forms still say "DO NOT FILE -- FORM NOT FINAL".

That's because you live in Калифорния  Eat-popcorn
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've used TurboTax for more than two decades without any problems; they send me a new version every year without any hassles unless I haven't updated my payment information.  I used to chomp at the bit wanting to file as soon as possible, but now retirement annuities and investment paperwork have put a stop to that practice.  The best part now is that TT can acquire that data directly from the source(s)!  Eat-popcorn
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY STATEMENTS OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Trying Credit Karma tax this year, it's free so why not. Also trying a couple of other free filings. We don't have state income tax so just filing Fed.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Things resolved at 4:40 PM Friday. Their CS would even acknowledge the problem.
BTW -- I forgot to mention that Mike Chipman was an AF Officer; but did not write the original code while on Uncle Sam's payroll.

I should have moved to NV 10 years ago. FL weather is too tropical for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Form not Final do not file is a very common problem. All it usually means is the form has not been formally approved by the state. Some states are better than others with the calculation remaining the same. I saw NY one year not finalize their state forms until the end of March.

I used to work for Intuit doing TTax support we went through this every year. It used to be in our FAQs (which no one reads). Got to work 2nd and 3rd tier support as well as a couple of special projects when I was there.

The fun ones were the folks who would use their last paystub of the year to file their taxes on the first day you could ef-ile. They would e-file and then they would get their W-2s (which don't have to be mailed out until Jan 31) with numbers that were totally different. They then got to experience the joys of filing an amended return. The had to wait until their original was accepted and they got their refund, and then they had to print and mail the amended return as the IRS did not accept e-filed amended returns. The joys of trying to explain that reasoning to a customer.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo, thanks for the heads-up but unfortunately had already purchased a copy at Costco over a month ago. Hopefully they have it figured out by the time I get around to filing. As far as the states go, would always wait on that since here in PA you always owe and additional.
Post Reply Post Reply

I was able to use Turbo Tax and filed both Federal and State (Ohio) with no problems.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Tax estimating software for year 2016 ?? justMongo 9 680 08-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Last Post: icyura10
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 711 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year zonk 5 3,085 12-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Last Post: DocWils
  I survived another year me50 8 1,677 10-13-2014, 03:34 AM
Last Post: me50
  New Year Resolutions zonk 7 2,428 01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Sleepster