Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone with Amara View leak issues? Have they been solved?
Anyone with Amara View leak issues? Have they been solved?
It takes 5-15 minutes per night to get the mask adjusted to no leaks.  But after 3-4 hours of sleep, it's guaranteed that it will leak.   I wind up always having to sleep on my left side, because no matter what I do, it will not seal when I try to sleep on my right.  I have played with all kinds of different tensions.  Some are so tight it hurts.  I've used Resmed liners and they help, but only some.  To get the liner material out of my nose, I have to trim off the top 1/2" with scissors or when I exhale, it puts pressure on my ears.  I'm going to try the liner from Padacheek after having washed it. Before washing, it didn't help either.  Open to suggestions ...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone with Amara View leak issues? Have they been solved?
I was given the Amara View as the mask I used with the DreamStation BiPAP a year ago. I still have the mask, but it's now an emergency back-up. For some reason, I can't get it to seal properly after adjusting and using with my ASV machine. I have seen and duplicated adjustment steps from suggestions here on AB, but it still leaks somewhat. It could be I have the wrong sized cushion, and as my go-to mask is the ResMed F20 AirFit, I'm not pursuing getting the Amara View to do anything but sit on the shelf as a back-up.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Amara View and Resmed F-20 along with the Dreamwear, Resmed P-10 and Brevida F&P..

I need a full face mask because of bad mouth leaks despite using at different times chin strap or neck brace and taping.

The F-20 leaks too much regardless of using the foam or silicone cushion.  Wasted my money of the F-20.  The P-10 isn’t very comfortable and I can only use it one night due to irritation.  The Brevida F&P and Dreamwear are the most comfortable and allows me to sleep better but mouth leaks are a problem.

Amira View leaks but still the best FFM I’ve tried.  Google and study the YouTube video on how to adjust the Amara View.  Until I can find a better FFM I will continue to use the Amara View with the following caveat:

I’m an active sleeper and despite buying and trying every different type of sleep pillow - I end up waking and fidgeting with the Amira View or any other FFM.

So I alternate masks.  Amara view 2-3 nights, then Dreamwear 2-3 nights, and Brevida F&P for a few nights.

My search for a better FFM continues but until I find one - the Amara View despite some leaks and struggles at night resetting it on my face is the best one for me so far.

Try adjusting it following the YouTube video on the Amara View and good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you have the wrong size, or perhaps a face contour issue, like facial hair or high cheekbones.

Respironics does make a sizing guide. I can try to find the link and post it, unless someone else has it handy.

I was given the wrong size by the DME and had to figure it out myself.

There are two sizes of headgear, standard and large.

There are three sizes of mask cushions, small, medium, and large.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Try printing this out (ideally on card stock):

https://5faacd0c97cf0d23c6dc-064f3cd61bc...-guide.pdf

Respironics does make a plastic version of this, which the DMEs are supposed to use, and rarely have, but you can ask.

I do have the part number, though I’m not sure that will help.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Only one I have used for a long time.

1. mask size with the Amara View is more about the distance between the bottom of your nose and that spot on your chin where the surface comes in from your chin and starts to go back out over your teeth, the divot is where the bottom of the mask should sit.
2. that strap of silicone right next to the breathing slot should go flat against your upper lip and not under your nose
3. you do not want to pull this mask hard against the underside of your nose, it seals by inflating the silicone around the edge and tip of your nose.
4. you need to figure out what works for you to get it seated. After you turn on the CPAP chose a. pull the mask straight out to let the silicone inflate and then set it straight back down. b. start with a. above but first set the end of your nose into the little nose cup, then rotate the bottom of the mask in place. c. exact opposite of b. set the chin in place first and then the nose. d. as you start to do a. above and start with the mask slightly lower then it should be and as you get very close to letting go, slide the mask up-to get that strap of silicone in place- and then let go
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried several different methods.  I can't stand the thing touching my nose. I do have high cheekbones.  I have a large. Tried a medium but it's not quite as wide as my mouth.  That was $75 I wasted.

I get a great seal at the start of every night, but it doesn't hold all night, even with just minor movement.

I'll try some of these methods.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to the size guide, I'm a medium.

At one point I bought a medium, but the leak issue wasn't any better ( I was brand new at this at the time, so maybe couldn't tell right), but the mouth opening is not as wide as my mouth.  I can't say the large is, either, but on the medium, the edges of the breathing hole felt like it was cutting into my lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Amara View is my backup (for when I want a FFM)... because I can *never* get it to seal / stay sealed. :-/
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted to let you know that so far, this has made a world of difference.  I measured at a medium using the printout from that link.   My provider never did that test, just did a visual and said "large".

I've also found that the looser setting is not necessary with a medium mask. Makes total sense why I'd have to make a large too tight.  Out of the 3 nights I've had the medium, only woke up once on night 2, and that's when I tried a looser setting.   Night 3 I went back to a slightly tighter setting and didn't wake up once.

Thank you very much for the reference!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 213 5 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.