Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anything new coming down the road?
Anything new coming down the road?
Hello All

I was diagnosed with severe sleep Apnea last summer [2012] and have been using a CPAP machine for a year now with mixed results.

I am only 50 and have a hard time believing I really have to wear this mask for the rest of my days; maybe 30, 40 more years? IF I am lucky? Seems like a long time to wear something which is hard to sleep with, and hard to travel with [I am on the road 4 or 5 months a year].

Thank goodness for the CPAP; without it my severe nocturia was waking me up every 1.5 hours to urinate, now it's just once per night like a normal 50-year old. It just seems like there has to be a better way, has anyone heard about any new advances coming in the future in which we may be able to ditch the mask once and for all? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anything new coming down the road?
I don't think it's hard to sleep with a nasal mask at all. The benefits far outweigh the minor inconveniences.

How many hours do you sleep per day? Aim for at least 7 and a half hours of sleep per day if you want to see any decent results. It's not only the quality of sleep, but the quantity, too.

I doubt any other treatment option apart from CPAP is gonna be useful for severe sleep apnea syndrome.
Post Reply Post Reply
well, I am self-employed so I can sleep as long and as late as I want to. I usually go to bed at around midnight and wake up around 8am, with little variation to that schedule.

I remember when I was first diagnosed, the Doc told me the other options right now [surgery, mouth guards and a few others] were not really realistic, that the mask was the only way. But he did mention researchers were working on some kind of a pill which may be able to help people like us.

The machine *is* working for me....my readings off the little media card are always good, the mask fits and I have little leakage and as I say it has definitely cured my nocturia problem, which was driving me crazy. But to say I like wearing the mask and lugging it around to hotel rooms all around the world would be a lie; if there was something else which would give me a good night's sleep without the hassle of CPAP I'd do it in a second.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you googled "dental sleep solutions"?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, and unfortunately the people I have heard feedback from usually tell me that's all a scam and doesn't really work.
Post Reply Post Reply
A pill? I don't think it's gonna work for obstructive apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
At the moment, PAP devices are the gold standard for treating Apnoea of almost every form, and because the problem is often complex, it has proven the be the best solution. PAP devices are improving steadily and are getting smaller and smaller, and it may be that one day they will be small enough and light enough to be integrated with the mask itself, but that is still far off. There are other solutions ideal for travelling, like Provent, although I am not yet convinced of its efficacy, but I do not feel sanguine over surgical intervention if it can at all be avoided, especially given the spotty results, and to date, weight loss combined with exercise and throat toning, using a didgeridoo, seem to be the best method of lowering the overall incidence of Apnoea permanently.

Consider this, though - the PAP devices are very new, less than two decades in widely accepted use. Improvements have been very rapid, and new refinements will surely be upon us soon. So hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
AS others have said, I too feel the benefits far outweigh the hassles - this from a 10+ year user. Yes, it would be nice to not need my dream machine, travel with it is an added hassle to be true.

My concern is the ongoing cost - what to do if/when my machine dies? Welcome to life I guess?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,228 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
Question [News] RESMED CHANGES COMING? srlevine1 6 988 12-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 692 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 638 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Are my symptoms even coming from sleep apnea? OSCAR attached apmea 8 864 08-23-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Does anyone know of new cpap masks coming out this year? Jimnyc2000 9 1,051 06-08-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  PLEASE help with settings for ASV coming tomorrow. OSCAR data attached. hopeforusall 41 2,353 06-08-2023, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.