Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anything other than water in humidifier?
Anything other than water in humidifier?
When I fired up my apap machine for the very first time (about 2 months ago), I felt like I couldn't breathe. As delivered, temp was 80* F and humidity was high (forget the number), and it felt suffocating. I eventually turned both the heat and humidity off, and the air was still a touch warmer than I was used to. It made me wonder - if the humidifier is off, could you put ice in the tank to chill the air?

From there, I wondered could you put a little vicks vaporub or equivalent in the tank to help clear your sinuses? Maybe something to act as an air freshener when you realize you didn't quite get all the soap out of everything when you washed it?  Smile  Or is the humidifier strictly water-only?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anything other than water in humidifier?
Are you feeling starved for air.? The reason you feel that is the lower setting of 4 is often too low try bumping it to 6. Also try downloading you info with sleepyhead . Tgat would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
There have been folks who used ice or ice water in the humidifier.

As far as putting something in the water - I'm thinking it could leave residue within the machine that might be difficult to clean out and could trap dust, possibly grow bacteria. And it could be more difficult to clean out the humidifier.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were my machine, I'd stick with water only. Distilled water is recommended, but if your water is not high on mineral content, that can be fine. For myself, I'm sticking with distilled water only, because of that mineral content in my well water.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have considered it, but my wife is adamant that I am not allowed to fill it with Bourbon.   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Might turn in to one of those flaming drinks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2017, 10:37 PM)chill Wrote: I have considered it, but my wife is adamant that I am not allowed to fill it with Bourbon.   Too-funny

Are you trying to create a Respironics flambe? Results may make it warm in the mask. Or melt some plastic.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2017, 10:23 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If it were my machine, I'd stick with water only. Distilled water is recommended, but if your water is not high on mineral content, that can be fine. For myself, I'm sticking with distilled water only, because of that mineral content in my well water.

Ditto.

Wife and I joke that our water is hard enough to throw and kill someone without being frozen.

We clean sand from our aerators every year or so.
There is sand in the bottom of our toilet tanks.  Bowl stains require constant attention.

Not going to put that in my machine.

I'm kinda liking the bourbon idea.....
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some online suppliers sell "aromatherapy" stuff to put in the humidifier tank water.

But my thoughts are: I got no way to escape that stink other than taking off the mask. I can't cover my nose, or leave the room, or even just simply put out the incense. There is no smell in this world that I want to be snorting all night long.

As for the ice, it might be better to put in the ice and water but leave the humidifier off. Let it "passively" keep the air cool. This eliminates any possible problem with turning on the heat.

And yeah, if you are using ramp, turn it off. And consider increasing your minimum pressure. You are most likely getting used to the treatment pressure so anything lower is going to feel like smothering. You aren't, it just feels like it. Consider using SleepyHead software to track your data. With it, you can tell what your pressure range truly is and set the machine appropriately.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleep Viking,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.