Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apap mode causing mask trouble
Apap mode causing mask trouble
So my prescribed cpap pressure is 11cm from my split night sleep study, but I wanted to set a tight range on auto mode to see how my pressure needs fluctuate. I started with 10-13cm and the highest my pressure went was 12.5 and the lowest was 10.8. my problem was that with the nasal mask, every time the pressure would increase it would break my seal and I'd get woken up to fix the leak. So I tried the full face mask. Same thing happened. So the next night I tried 11cm-13cm. Same leaking happened, and also in Apap mode my AHI climbed to 3.9. When in cpap mode my highest was 2.4 and that was the first night. So my question is, is there a trick to stop the increasing pressure from breaking your seal? And is there a better mask style for Apap mode? Currently using an Ultra mirage 2 nasal mask, and ESon nasal mask, and a mirage Quattro, all of which I get great seals with in cpap mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apap mode causing mask trouble
Since your pressure is in a tight range, why don't you try a straight CPAP mode. You can use your 95% pressure to be the set pressure on CPAP mode (it will be less than your peak pressure seen in the last 30 days). Constant pressure will not dislodge your mask. Evaluate the CPAP mode for 10 days and see how you feel.

You may be surprised that you feel better on CPAP mode than on APAP.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt the 2 cm pressure fluctuation is causing the problem, but some people are more sensitive to pressure changes than others. EPR on your machine can cause a 3 cm drop and rise between each breath.

Anyway, in auto mode, you can set minimum and maximum pressure both at 11, and it will act as a CPAP but give the flow limitation data available in auto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am confused. I use my S9 Auto in S mode and I get Flow limitation data. Why not just change the mode to CPAP?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 11:37 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I am confused. I use my S9 Auto in S mode and I get Flow limitation data. Why not just change the mode to CPAP?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

HUH.. Now you're confusing me.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'm going to stick with cpap mode since I have no problem with it. I may try to slightly increase my pressure though to work to eliminate all apenas. Thanks for chiming in.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 11:40 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(02-26-2015, 11:37 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I am confused. I use my S9 Auto in S mode and I get Flow limitation data. Why not just change the mode to CPAP?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

HUH.. Now you're confusing me.

Sleeprider said and I quote,"Anyway, in auto mode, you can set minimum and maximum pressure both at 11, and it will act as a CPAP but give the flow limitation data available in auto."

I was merely trying to say that flow limitation data is not exclusively available in auto mode. Don't you agree?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton, I am not sure with the resmed machine. I know the PR machines do not chart flow limitations when put in CPAP mode. In any event there is no practical difference between CPAP mode and making minimum and maximum auto pressure equal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 02:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Payton, I am not sure with the resmed machine. I know the PR machines do not chart flow limitations when put in CPAP mode. In any event there is no practical difference between CPAP mode and making minimum and maximum auto pressure equal.

I can tell you that I know for sure my Resmed 10 Auto still tracks flow limitation when in CPAP mode.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just checked and my S9 autoset definitely tracks flow limitation in straight cpap mode.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 364 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 205 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 563 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 427 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,412 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,865 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.