Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apap producing low waking heart rate.
Apap producing low waking heart rate.
Ill be as brief as possible:grin:

PR System one series 60 auto aflex min 6 max 15 but opti start has kicked in the last two nights and reset the start for 8.5 pressure.

My pulse was in the high 60s resting to sometimes 100 resting. I do have high BP on one BP med and 325 aspirin a day per cardiologist, but that has settled running 145 over 90 though sometimes dips into the 118 over mid 70s.

I walk a mile each night to avoid daytime heat also per cardiologist.

My quandary is this. After starting on the APAP I feel great. But my pulse rate is in the basement running 40 to 56 bpm resting and started doing that the first morning after therapy. It did rise to 60 and settle the first day but now the only time it goes up is with physical activity. And 77 is about as high it gets on my walks.

As I said I feel fine, no dizziness, etc. Though I do notice that my waking respiration's have slowed during the day as if I dont need to breathe as often, though when on therapy once asleep software indicates my Resp rate is right down the middle at 17 breathes per minute.

Wondering if the APAP and med combo is causing it, and my meds need adjusting changed or stopped, or if anyone else not on meds has had this happen to them????

Thanks for any helpThanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apap producing low waking heart rate.
Hi Ghost1958,
You might talk to your doc if it really bothers you.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My resting heart rate is upper 40's most of the time. Part of that is due to meds (atenolol). I wish I could walk a mile any time... but not really possible. CHF so mobility is limited.

I have no problems with the resting heart rate and it actually helps the CHF. BP is also very good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call the heart doc. Hehe - this is good news. He will want you to watch it for a few weeks, then probably a med change will be needed.

I was told it's OK down to "40" - no lower though! My issue was not the heartrate, but rather my BP dropping to like 80/45 and felt like crap. As the heart improves, the meds become too strong. CPAP is what fixed my heart (took many years of use).
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2014, 07:09 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Call the heart doc. Hehe - this is good news. He will want you to watch it for a few weeks, then probably a med change will be needed.

I was told it's OK down to "40" - no lower though! My issue was not the heartrate, but rather my BP dropping to like 80/45 and felt like crap. As the heart improves, the meds become too strong. CPAP is what fixed my heart (took many years of use).

Thats the rub as they say. Though Cpap seems to have stopped AFib that I had a botched surgery for in 2011, Stopped PVCS also and I feel fine, dont get winded on my walks much even pushing it a bit. All good stuff.

My BP is still 99 percent of the time running 143 over 90 to 93 and there about while at the same time im running a pulse of 40.

Its almost as if my potassium levels are to high which due to Docs and medicine interactions about killed me once before.

Since I posted last I did some research on an antibiotic I was given about the same time i started cpap.

It appears it contains potassium and can interact with my one BP med that is prone to store potassium anyway. The weaker slower pulse is classic for a to high potassium level. So Im dropping the antibiotic which ive taken most of now anyway and seeing if that brings me back up in the next couple days. Ill update after I see what happens. And Ill stay on the machine. It has helped me greatly in six days except for this hiccup that may have nothing really to do with the CPAP itself.

Thanks for the replies and help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which means, call the heart doc - sooner rather than later! My problem was the reverse - BP 110/70, but a resting heartrate of 122 - could not bring it down~! All sorts of pills later, and 10-13 yrs of CPAP, and a few lost pounds too - no my resting heartrate is 50-70, and BP is still 110/70 - but one of the pills - think the ACE inhibitor, was dropping my BP way, way too low - finally the heart doc took me off it.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
My pulse is always low. So much so that it causes the alarm to sound when I am in recovery after a hospital procedure. My doctor tells me this is a good thing so I haven't worried about it. I do have occasional light headiness when I bend over and stand up but it goes away quickly. This condition existed before CPAP and has not changed with therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well im one day off the potassium containing antibiotic. My pulse this morning has risen from 40 to 42 BPM to 52 to 56 BPM. Itll take a few more day to get the extra potassium flushed out of my body if that is the problem but it seems to heading in the right direction if it continues.

I will keep updating but I think a potassium overload from mixing those two meds is the problem, not the CPap. I had the POT overload once before and this acts the same as it did that time. Only difference is I wasnt on therapy for the apena then so the HR drop floored me. This time with the cpap I feel fine despite the low HR.

Again Ill keep updating this as it goes along till its nailed down. Thanks again for the replies and help

Post Reply Post Reply
This is one of those threads where I wish I was a moderator.
It's only tangentially relevant to PAP.

You're playing Russian Roulette with a single shot pistol.
There are too many guesses here. Ghost 1958 -- see a doctor!

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Last update on this lil subject lol. I did go have an EKG ran just to makes sure I was not in Afib and on the right track. My HR at the time was 44 though I felt fine as its been since I started the Apap. EKG checked out fine, doc said no worries, the dropped HR is due to taking the after load off my Left Ventricle caused by the years of untreated Apena that my heart has been fighting for probably 30 yrs.

So everything is good. No Afib, no PVCs and at this is the 2nd Doc since I started the Apap that has told me in time the mild thickening in the wall of my left Ventricle that ive had for several years should reverse itself to normal now that its not working against the elevated BP and the after load at night.

So all good news so far. Thanks for the replies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 88 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.