Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apap to CPAP for camping, settings question.
RE: Apap to CPAP for camping, settings question.
Hi DavePaulson,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy and hopefully, your camping trip gose well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2017, 03:23 PM)DavePaulson Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 03:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You will definitely need the Resmed S9 DC converter to run on a battery.  Using an inverter would be very inefficient.

I need the battery to last a week so an inverter is out of the question.

I missed your other question. I have another machine set up to run on 12 volts already and I would rather not buy the converter for the S9 if I don't have to.

That clarifies things.  About the best I have seen is 2-nights on a 36000 mAhr Li-Ion battery at your pressures. So you would need 2-3 of those, or a couple deep cycle batteries, or one with solar recharger and a lot of luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2017, 03:23 PM)DavePaulson Wrote: I need the battery to last a week so an inverter is out of the question.

I would just use the older machine that runs on 12 volts, set the pressure to somewhere around 16 or 18, and get a solar charger for the battery.

By the way, you are very often hitting the 18 cm pressure ceiling. I would change that to 20 and see what happens. Unless, that is, the higher pressure bothers you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster has a good point, not to mention there are hazards of a canoe trip that could end badly for a CPAP machine if you don't properly protect it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a large deep cycle that should make it five nights. I will be testing it before I  go. I will up my machine pressure to 20 when I get back from this trip and see what happens.

Thanks,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2017, 03:43 PM)justMongo Wrote: And that machine is a CPAP.

here's your imgur charts inline

It is indeed. Thanks for posting my pics as I was unable to because I had too few posts.

Thanks,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2017, 08:48 AM)DavePaulson Wrote: I will up my machine pressure to 20 when I get back from this trip and see what happens.

Just to be clear, your machine is now set at a pressure range of 13-18. What I recommended is changing it to something like 13-20. Then look at your pressure graph and see if the pressure is still reaching the maximum of 20 as often as it used to hit the maximum of 18.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2017, 10:20 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 08:48 AM)DavePaulson Wrote: I will up my machine pressure to 20 when I get back from this trip and see what happens.

Just to be clear, your machine is now set at a pressure range of 13-18. What I recommended is changing it to something like 13-20. Then look at your pressure graph and see if the pressure is still reaching the maximum of 20 as often as it used to hit the maximum of 18.

Yep, that is how I understood it.

Thank you,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider something like ECO-WORTHY 40 Watts 12 Volts Semi Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel for Battery Charging

Even on a overcast day it will add to battery life. Waterproof and bendable.

Have fun and Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I did decide to splurge on the S9 converter(I sleep better with this machine), on the third night of my battery trial, so far so good. I did find a very good battery calculator from Resmed in the private files here. It says that my machine at my settings, the way I intend to use it, uses 1.14 amps. I have a 7-year-old deep cycle that is rated for 115 amp hours, if its half as good as it once was I should be good. The test continues.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 367 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 428 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,412 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.