Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] "Wheezing" sound from mask
RE: "Wheezing" sound from mask
I see two possibilities here.  One is that when you first started you were so distracted by and concentrating on the hose and the mask and the air and the strangeness of it all that this noised faded into the background. It was the least of your worries. Now that you are more comfortable with the therapy, you are starting to hear this noise.  The other possibility is that you have a defective unit and the blower is making more noise than it should.  My first DreamStation went bad like this and I returned it for a replacement.  

How loud is it?  Louder that a room fan?  If so, I'd take it back to your supplier and let them listen to it while you have the mask on.  They should be able to determine if something is wrong.  It coudl also be somethign like a silicone gasket that is out of place.

If it is not that loud, it is likely normal.  These machine are quiet but not silent.  They maintain a pressure by supplying a varying volume of air by changing the blower (fan) speed.  When you breathe in, it needs to supply more air and it does this by spinning the fan faster.  When you exhale it needs to supply a lower volume of air and so the fan spins slower.  Hearing the cycle of rising and falling fan speed is normal.  I can see how this might be described as a wheezing or groaning or Darth Vader noises.  Changing your pressure will not change this.  Using a hose cover might reduce it depending on whether you are hear it from the machine itself, or from the air flow in the hose.  Keeping the machine in a bedside night table will also help.  Just make sure to allow for enough air flow into the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 192 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 288 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,876 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  wheezing noise n20 with VCom ifsmithy 2 386 12-23-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] AirSense 10 beep or ding sound Baklash 0 514 07-30-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Baklash
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,532 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.