Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Velcro Issues - Fisher and Paykel Vitera
Velcro Issues - Fisher and Paykel Vitera
Does anyone else here find the velcro to be extremely weak in a short amount of time on this mask.  I really like the full-face mask and find it more comfortable than others I've had. I'm finding the strength of the velcro to be its failure point.  Insurance pays for one new headgear every three months.  I don't think it's possible to get to even get this much out of it.  Once the top straps weaken, it's over at pressures like mine (17/9).  It's some weird smooth velcro I've never seen before. Other than this, I think the headgear is a great design.  That said, strength is critical on this.  I can get them on Ebay for $20 or so and have been going this route.  Just irritating.

There has to be more efficient ways to make these things more durable, but I guess that wouldn't be in the manufacturer's best interest. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Velcro Issues - Fisher and Paykel Vitera
Cmpman, I have found just the opposite.  I don't have to have my Vitera straps very tight at all to work.  My straps are still good after maybe 4 to 6 months I think.  Top straps are very very loose.  Bottom straps are snug (fairly tight).  Always a great seal for me.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2023, 11:05 AM)Jay51 Wrote: Cmpman, I have found just the opposite.  I don't have to have my Vitera straps very tight at all to work.  My straps are still good after maybe 4 to 6 months I think.  Top straps are very very loose.  Bottom straps are snug (fairly tight).  Always a great seal for me.

Strange.  If I let the straps loosen at all, huge leaks occur.  Maybe you're not a big mouth breather.  Visibly the top strap velcro looks clean and same as when new, but its holding power diminishes for me over time.  The respiratory therapist said keep straps loose on top as well, but that didn't achieve a good result.  What are your 'average' pressures?  I assume lower than 17/9.  I know you're on that AVAPS set-up so it's different.
Post Reply Post Reply
I totally agree. What I do is have my wife sew on REAL velcro strips.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's Velcro......and then there's Automotive-Grade Velcro. BIG difference. My wife is an accomplished seamstress and she has a lot to choose from on hand. 

If you find and try some of the auto-grade stuff, you might find it to be too tough to deal with.
Post Reply Post Reply
My EPAP maxes out at 10 (capped).  IPAP can go up to 25, but usually around 15 is my IPAP max.  I saw an instructional video on the Vitera mask that said the top part seals better with the straps loose.  That works for me.  I am sorry cmpman that you still have leaks with a loose seal.  Two great replies with a possibly solution (stronger velcro straps) though.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I initially tried self stick velcro which did not last long. I switched to sew on which I bought from walmart. It comes in different widths.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 198 41 minutes ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fisher and Paykel Solo Columbiabill 29 3,925 03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Vako
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,599 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.