Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP conquered, PLMS still kicking
CPAP conquered, PLMS still kicking
After lots of help from the folks here and my own research (Youtube videos, articles, etc) I have an AHI of about 1 average (though I know AHI is not a great measure). Reviewing my data with OSCAR shows that I am doing well, so I feel the AHI number is a good measure in my case. BUT I am still tired and have fitful sleep.

I was in an auto accident in March last year that resulted in whiplash so I am not getting a solid nights sleep (neck pain if I stay too long in a position) so that is contributing. But my PLMS (periodic limb movement) has continued as well.

My sleep study revealed that it is severe, but I thought it was getting better after taking B12 and staying off all coffee (caff or decaf). My wife has told me today that my feet are still moving periodically at night and disturbed her last night. (She noticed it because her neck bothers her at night as well and while awake last night she noticed my feet.)
I've tried pregabalin (augmented my RLS in just a few months) and gabapentin (severe itching) to no avail.

Is anyone aware of other treatments (or research) for PLMS that show promise? My PSG reported my PLM was 83/hr with 22/hr resulting in arousal. They showed up during REM, so apparently that means they need to be treated differently.

P.S.
I have posted here in the past, but the threads were quite long and mostly related to apneas. Since I have mastered the CPAP (VAUTO) I felt like I needed a new thread to address the stubborn PLMS.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP conquered, PLMS still kicking
How are your iron levels? Electrolytes?
Low levels can contribute to PLM.

Magnesium supplements help some patients, as does a shot of pickle juice at bedtime.

Requip and Mirapex are often prescribed for PLM and could be worth discussing with your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Study Review - Missed PLMS? pezhead99 4 332 01-22-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: WhyMe
  UARS/FL (PLMS): Yellow/R Lights For So Many Lingering Folks_“Is Bilevel the Answer?" mper6794 107 16,120 06-22-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  any PLMs device I could integrate with OSCAR? verysincere 1 458 05-16-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oxycodone, PLMS, PLMD, AHI, Oxy Sat, etc.. Cam12 2 457 12-06-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  PLMS dreamdancer 1 490 06-29-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: FrankFuss
  kicking and thrashing tonight—-why? Stiffdoc 3 2,283 03-17-2019, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Jerking/kicking Johnboy 1 958 10-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.