Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnaes: difference between Central / Obstructive ?
RE: Apnaes: difference between Central / Obstructive ?
I used a CPAP for years before I was diagnosed with central sleep apnea. Therapy worked for a while with a CPAP, then quit working and my AHI climbed. Then they gave me a bipap, and it was the same story -- it worked great for a couple of months and then the AHI climbed to 50/hour. That's when I had a new sleep study and they found CSA. After that I got an ASV. So far (6 months) it has been great with an AHI usually below 1.0. Why does CSA happen? It is associated with heart disease and drug abuse. Then there are the cases where it happens for no identifiable reason, which seems to be the case with me. I have a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV, and recommend it highly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hugosnel, I think your apnea problems, including the CA events arises from positional obstruction. There is a clear pattern of apnea to cluster in your charts with very erratic tidal volume and before concluding this is actually central apnea, you should try a soft cervical collar. If it is possible to zoom in on the flow rate during events, we may be able to make additional interpretation. I'll link to our wiki articles on positional apnea and soft cervical collar for consideration. What are your pressure settings including any pressure relief?
Positional apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
soft cervical collar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all your contributions!
As I already said I have a APAP machine, not a CPAP, so I suspect, like an ASV, the pressure is raised as the need is higher.
Maybe drug use is influencing my CA's as I am still on a mild opiate after an operation on a finger.
That should be over as of now. Also, I will try to avoid positions that allow my head to touch my chest...
Time will tell.
My age is 68, I have overweight and high blood pressure.
The good resolutions of 2021 include more exercise and weight loss .. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

I forgot to mention my pressure setting:
7-12, no soft-start.
I have suffered a moderate COVID in March 2020

I am including my sleeping test results in PDF!

Attached Files
.pdf   POLY_anonyme.pdf (Size: 745.98 KB / Downloads: 13)
Post Reply Post Reply
After looking at your results, I think you may soon be using ASV (adaptive servo ventilator). If you can get a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV or CS Pacwave, that will resolve both obstructive and central. Your test results documents central apnea at 50% of obstructive apnea, but the hypopnea can easily be central, and there was a lot. It is fairly common for individuals with a central apnea component to have that become predominate after starting CPAP therapy. In your previously submitted chart, the lowest event rate was when pressure was at or near the minimum pressure setting. it might be useful to limit the range of pressure in your machine and see if that improves results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm seeing a very high amount of hypopnea at 297, high level of obstructive apnea at 107, and a high but not as high level of Centrals at 48. The CA in this test, which is just a one sleep session snapshot, are about half the amount of obstructives while the hypopneas were about 6 times more than CA. This does mean all 3 are an issue, but despite the presence of CA, it is the least of your concerns of these 3. This does not mean we ignore the CA, just that it's the least to concern yourself over. It does need factored in though, so we must be mindful to not induce higher Centrals by higher pressure swings than necessary to what we must use to combat the obstructive and hypopnea.

Note that the hypopnea may be either obstructive or central, these tests typically do not determine what type of hypopnea event just a count. So these hypopnea can range anywhere from pure central to pure obstructive, or a mix of anywhere in between those 2 extremes.

An APAP is an auto ranging CPAP. It does not in itself have backup rate like an ASV for central combat duty. An ASV is an enhanced BPAP or 2 pressure which the APAP is not either of these. An ASV may be discussed if the APAP cannot treat properly, but my own experience tells me that APAP is better for Central combat than a BPAP without backup rate. That BPAP without backup will potentially drive up CA even more.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2021, 01:59 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: After looking at your results, I think you may soon be using ASV (adaptive servo ventilator).  If you can get a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV or CS Pacwave, that will resolve both obstructive and central.  Your test results documents central apnea at 50% of obstructive apnea, but the hypopnea can easily be central, and there was a lot. It is fairly common for individuals with a central apnea component to have that become predominate after starting CPAP therapy.  In your previously submitted chart, the lowest event rate was when pressure was at or near the minimum pressure setting. it might be useful to limit the range of pressure in your machine and see if that improves results.

Thank you Sleeprider. My last count was 6/hour. I forgot to reinsert the Datacard last night but I was able to retrieve the count online. How many obstructive/central.. no idea. 
Hoping for a good night of data with the card inserted [Image: bigwink.gif]
What pressure do you think I should use? I went up from 6>7 yesterday. Max is at 12.
Do you have any idea of what data I may be able to submit to OSCAR?
Are there many Loewenstein users in the forum?
Don't forget the obvious.[Image: bigwink.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Dave. Thanx for your input!
I have changed my pillow for a more rigid one. maybe I can prevent positional CA's a bit. Tomorrow I hope to have complete output from the Loewenstein software, which should shed more light on the different forms of the apneas.
My machine is an APAP which I can set to CPAP. I have a vague idea of what an ASV is but you puzzle me with the BPAP (BI pressure?) and the backup funtion is not clear as of yet.
I am using 7-12 as pressure range, having an issue with my mask, but getting there bit by bit.

Last night was hopefull, see my response to Sleeprider!
Bye
Post Reply Post Reply
Just lower the maximum pressure to 8.0 and turn off any form of EPR or pressure relief. Let's see if things get better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Changing the pillow was not a success. I woke up and changed back as I felt uncomfortable. This can be seen in my graph.
I have slept with pressure 7low 8 high, no EPR as suggested but max level appears to restricted IMHO. I consider 7-9 for this coming night... Not using EPR did not bother me at all. I also do not see the need of using soft-start.
The graphs are below, I took off the mask for some time during the night. I will be pleased to receive constructive comments!!!
I am aware of having some leaks. Is it an issue?

Attached Files
.pdf   2021_01_05_prisma.pdf (Size: 370.08 KB / Downloads: 10)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,669 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,570 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 204 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 120 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,061 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 632 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 10 1,349 04-02-2024, 04:45 AM
Last Post: baolitoumu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.