Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnaes: difference between Central / Obstructive ?
RE: Apnaes: difference between Central / Obstructive ?
From what I have understood is that the ST will take control of my air intake, which can turn to dependency.
Don't forget the obvious.[Image: bigwink.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the best reference for you to read. I will walk you through some talking points https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

Page 5: Note the What it Does and What it Treats:
ASV: Targets the patient’s minute ventilation, continually learning the patient’s breathing pattern and instantly responding to any changes
ASV: Treats Central or mixed apneas, complex sleep apnea, Periodic Breathing (PB)Patients weighing more than 66 lb (30 kg
ST: Augments any breaths initiated by the patient, but also supplies additional breaths if the breath rate falls below the clinician’s set “backup” respiratory rate
ST: Treats COPD, NMD, OHS and other respiratory conditionsPatients weighing more than 30 lb (13 kg)

Note that you have complex sleep apnea, not COPD Neuromuscualar Disease (NMD), or Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome (OHS)
Pages 27-31 All you need to know about ASV
Pages 37-40 All you need to know about ST

Please read this and if you have questions, ask. This will allow you to be part of the conversation and advocate for the right therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you , I certainly will go all this this in detail. The documentation from Resmed is well accessible.
I never talked about ST, I discussed ASV with the technical support, they need the signature of the treating doctor for the treatment and the insurance.
It seems to me that I will be best off with the Resmed .

I would like a reaction to my mentioning of a medical past with a big attack of my Vegal nerve this seems of some interest in the discussion, at least to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
In an earlier post, I said a little about the role of the vagus nerve in regulating respiration. (It transmits changes in the carotid bodies to the medulla.) So this seems like an hypothesis that your doctor should pay attention to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dormeo, the Vagal Nerve injury is a probable root cause for the centrals, and the ASV is exactly what will address that easily. I only brought up the ST because sadly, a surprising number of doctors in the U.S. seem to be confused about the appropriate therapy. Hopefully that will not affect you in France.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not think that will affect me here as discussions with the medical response is showing. they have not even touched the subject of ST and I am now aware that this is not an option, thanks to you.
I am glad to have your consensus on the possibilities of an influence from the vagal nervous system! Has this option come up before? The consequences of the attack some 15 years ago are such that now I cannot ride a motorcycle anymore !!
That is important for me to work out and digest.
Going down to try my F30 Resmed mask now.
Take care and wake up healthy.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK maybe then best plan of attack is not to mention ST if the docs aren't discussing it now. Present ASV only as it's the right answer. IF however ST were to be brought up, then use your ammo from ResMed on reasons to issue ST vs reasons to issue ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly Dave. I agree , there is no reason to put me on other than ASV.
Thanx for all the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excuse me Dave & SR!
Typo, slip of the mind...[Image: bigwink.gif]
I surely meant I do not need the ST. 
I do think you are correct about the ASV.

The more so if you look at my last results (3 nights preceding), it is not getting any better.
I have forced a meeting with my treating sleep doc today; can you give me a quick opinion before please?
Thanks!

Attached Files
.pdf   Capture d’écran 2021-01-11 à 09.4.pdf (Size: 388.84 KB / Downloads: 8)
Post Reply Post Reply
Still showing significant sleep disruption with predominately central apnea. There are very few parts of your therapy that are free of apnea and arousal, however the period between 12:30 and 2:00 and 3:10 to 3:45 look somewhat clear. This does not correlate with any therapeutic changes, and is just part of the natural variation in event density through the night. As I said, central apnea is consistently inconsistent. There is no doubt you will completely control events using a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV or CS Pacewave.

Unrelated to your situation, but you might find this recent thread by Nicola, who is treating a 9-year old with severe central apnea, and started on a ST, but read what happens when she gets the ASV! http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...s-on-bipap?

Therapy with the CS Pacewave begins at post 22 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid379497
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.