Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnaes: difference between Central / Obstructive ?
RE: Apnaes: difference between Central / Obstructive ?
It would really help to have the settings from the left column that provides all the statistics. Please follow this tutorial to get the Daily Details screenshot with all the information http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

From what I can see here, you are using a Resmed machine (unknown model, unknown settings), that during the apnea and hypopnea cluster from 2:30 to 3:30 is providing variable pressure between 8.0 and 10.5, with numerous CA and H events. This is classic central and complex apnea, and cannot be treated in this mode. You will need an ASV machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Sleeprider says, it'd be very helpful to include the left panel. Sorry to hassle you with this; once you get the hang of it, it'll be simple.
Post Reply Post Reply
The doctor suspected bad handled hypopapnaes. 

The Loewenstein was suspected of not reacting sufficiently on half-open airway situation.

I did insist to get an ASV from Resmed, but they said that the Airflow 10S would be good enough :-(
Next week they will evaluate, for the time being, I am worse off than before.

If only I could get my parameters set up as before.
For me the parameters are different ..
Shall I go back down to 5 - 8,5 instead of 5 - 12 pressure settings?
In the COMFORT settings;
RESPONSE standard or soft?
Is it better not to useRAMP and EPR at all or can I set short RAMP and EPR during PARM?

I tend to agree that this is not the solution for me, I am considering calling the doctor again tomorrow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Don't forget the obvious.[Image: bigwink.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
If your doctor was looking for a sufficient response to half-open airway, he is more clueless than I thought. First of all, your machine is a CPAP not an Aircurve 10 VPAP S but an Airsense 10 Autoset. CPAP. It is not setup for pressure support or EPR. It is made to simply provide pressure in a range from 5 to 12 cm H2O. Adding in EPR, while interesting wont' solve the problem. Using a minimum pressure of 7.0 and Maximum pressure of 12 with EPR on full-time at 2 will put you in the same area as your previous machine. Your statistics show your tidal volume is very good at a median of 540 mL but flow limitation is very high as indicated by the long inspiratory time and shorter expiratory time and the 95% flow limit index of 0.19. Adding EPR will help this, but may drive up central apnea.

Your AHI is 38 events per hour on average, but clustered so that in some hours, you are essentially not breathing. I think you should be using a pulse oximeter for your own safety and to evaluate just how serious this is. I consider events at this level an urgent indication of an need to go to ASV immediately. This is really serious stuff. You need to stop being so tolerant of your doctor's incompetence. He has diagnostic and therapeutic data that both point to the same result. This is simply negligence.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
37.9 AHI! WOW what a trainwreck of therapy. I'd suggest calling Dr. McQuack or whatever his name is, tell him this machine's therapy is not helping. Tell him how badly you feel, do not mention any positive thing, supposing they even exist. Mention only negatives, very poor rest, extremely uncomfortable and such like. Call that doctor as soon as you can and say you will not accept this extreme failure of treatment. Then in a polite yet forceful fashion demand ResMed ASV. Also mention you are not trying this experiment any longer, ASV immediately.

Best wishes you succeed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The doctor does not seem to trust the results as they are presented. I do not even know if he looks at the transmitted results in his backend system.
I agree, I do not feel well at all. My former machine was better.
Sleeprider, are you sure that the Aircurve 10S is only CPAP? I have it set to auto, which does adapt pressure as you can see on the chart.
It is just to optimize before I get a replacement.
I did drink some red wine, but that is part of our culture...
I had a nap this afternoon and had more than 20 apnaes!
Post Reply Post Reply
The screenshot shows you were using a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. Look on the front of the machine to see what it says in the bottom right corner.

If you get a recording oximeter as Sleeprider suggests, the results may help you get immediate attention from your doctor. You might try using an oximeter that is compatible with Oscar; see the Oximetry Wizard page on the Welcome page.

If your O2 levels are below 90 for sustained periods of time and your doctor still won't pay attention, please get another doctor. This is a significant health issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using terminology like 10S is confusing. Correctly it is the successor to the S9 series and we would call it the S10, but without the model name Autoset, we don't know that it is the auto-adjusting CPAP. Resmed calls its CPAP line Airsense t0, and the models are CPAP, Elite and Autoset and Autoset for her. The bilevel models are Aircurve 10, and the models are VPAP S, Vauto and ASV.

There is a saying attributed to Einstein that continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Well, your doctor is insane, although I would argue incompetent is equally appropriate. I think you need to request a change.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
My adjustments had some effect, as suspected Sleeprider. This brings me back to the old situation.
This morning I am expecting a call from the clinic.
What do you all think better but not enough? Shall I still insist on an ASV?
Sleep well in the other time zone  Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Me, I'd say things don't look acceptable if these were my results. I'd replace the PAP machine and probably the dimwit doc just to be sure I began to get proper treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,513 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 538 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.