Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea Acronyms
RE: Apnea Acronyms
Paula , here is a couple of possible entries.

I think you have one too many P's in UPPP

PSG..Polysomnography..the sleep test
RT.. Respiratory Therapist
EDS...Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 07:07 PM)JudgeMental Wrote: Paula , here is a couple of possible entries.

I think you have one too many P's in UPPP

PSG..Polysomnography..the sleep test
RT.. Respiratory Therapist
EDS...Excessive Daytime Sleepiness

Yeah, I did that on purpose.

Don't have the RT. Do have the EDS.

---
Updated the list to be alphabetical. And corrected the UPPP. :grin:
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 05:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Updated the list in the original post.

Huhh? Sad You still have BiPAP listed as a type of exhalation relief. It's not. It's a bilevel PAP machine. I should know, there's one on my night stand.

Oh, here's another one ... Not sure if it's appropriate for your list.

PRS1 = Philips Respironics System One.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BiPAP is the name of their bi-level machine?

And Bi-Level is the universal name for exhale pressure relief?

I had to read FOUR websites to finally get it right just now. So many use BiPAP as the same as Bi-Level.

BiPAP is the CPAP version of Xerox.

I get it now. Fixing it.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 07:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: BiPAP is the name of their bi-level machine?

Yes. Smile

Quote: And Bi-Level is the universal name for exhale pressure relief?

No. Oh-jeez

Quote:So many use BiPAP as the same as Bi-Level.

Yes. Just as many use Kleenex as the same as tissue.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:"VPAP" or "BPAP" (variable/bilevel positive airway pressure) provides two levels of pressure: inspiratory positive airway pressure (IPAP) and a lower expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP) for easier exhalation. (Some people use the term BPAP to parallel the terms APAP and CPAP.) Often BPAP is incorrectly referred to as "BiPAP". BiPAP® is the name of a portable ventilator manufactured by Respironics Corporation; it is just one of many ventilators that can deliver BPAP.
(source)

Everything I read says Bi-Level is a comfort thing, not a treatment thing.

Ah, but it's not a universal term.

THIS is why an acronym list is a good thing. As long as it is correct!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 08:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Everything I read says Bi-Level is a comfort thing, not a treatment thing.

Bilevel machines (for example, BiPAP machines) are a lot more expensive than CPAP machines. My doctor originally prescribed a CPAP and then a few weeks later changed it to a BiPAP to treat my aerophagia.

The insurance company paid most of the extra cost.

If it were a comfort thing, I can't imagine the insurance company kicking in all that extra money for it.

A BiPAP machine raises the pressure to the higher IPAP pressure only when you inhale. Exhalation relief is a far less sophisticated comfort-only feature that lowers the pressure only when you exhale. It's difficult to describe what I'm talking about here, but if I could show you my BiPAP machine in operation, you'd see that it spends far less time at the higher IPAP pressure than does a CPAP with exhalation relief.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I don,t think wikipedia is the best source for cpap info
Phillips Respironics call their bi-level machines BiPAP
http://bipaps.respironics.com/
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe our Wiki is correct on this, which states:

Quote:Bilevel positive airway pressure (BPAP) or Variable positive airway pressure (VPAP) is a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) mode used during noninvasive positive pressure ventilation. It delivers a preset inspiratory positive airway pressure (IPAP) and expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP). BPAP can be described as a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure system with a time-cycled change of the applied CPAP level. CPAP, BPAP and other non-invasive ventilation modes have been shown to be effective management tools for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and acute respiratory failure.

Often BPAP is incorrectly referred to as "BiPAP". BiPAP® is the name of a portable ventilator manufactured by the Philips-Respironics Corporation; it is just one of many ventilators that can deliver BPAP.

Modes of BPAP

S (Spontaneous) – In spontaneous mode the device triggers IPAP when flow sensors detect spontaneous inspiratory effort and then cycles back to EPAP.
T (Timed) – In timed mode the IPAP/EPAP cycling is purely machine-triggered, at a set rate, typically expressed in breaths per minute (BPM).
S/T (Spontaneous/Timed) – Like spontaneous mode, the device triggers to IPAP on patient inspiratory effort. But in spontaneous/timed mode a "backup" rate is also set to ensure that patients still receive a minimum number of breaths per minute if they fail to breathe spontaneously.

Source:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=BPAP

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 08:28 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I believe our Wiki is correct on this, which states:

Quote:Bilevel positive airway pressure (BPAP) or Variable positive airway pressure (VPAP) is a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) mode used during noninvasive positive pressure ventilation. It delivers a preset inspiratory positive airway pressure (IPAP) and expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP). BPAP can be described as a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure system with a time-cycled change of the applied CPAP level. CPAP, BPAP and other non-invasive ventilation modes have been shown to be effective management tools for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and acute respiratory failure.

Often BPAP is incorrectly referred to as "BiPAP". BiPAP® is the name of a portable ventilator manufactured by the Philips-Respironics Corporation; it is just one of many ventilators that can deliver BPAP.

Modes of BPAP

S (Spontaneous) – In spontaneous mode the device triggers IPAP when flow sensors detect spontaneous inspiratory effort and then cycles back to EPAP.
T (Timed) – In timed mode the IPAP/EPAP cycling is purely machine-triggered, at a set rate, typically expressed in breaths per minute (BPM).
S/T (Spontaneous/Timed) – Like spontaneous mode, the device triggers to IPAP on patient inspiratory effort. But in spontaneous/timed mode a "backup" rate is also set to ensure that patients still receive a minimum number of breaths per minute if they fail to breathe spontaneously.

Source:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=BPAP

bipap is a very confusing term along with being a respironics copyrited name. i stuck my old remstar plus m series w/c-flex mfg on 2009-02-26 on my scanner for ya's. it clearly shows bipap on it. not long ago when i was still using it and knew nothing i thought i had a bipap machine, thinking bipap was like bilevel. so it is more than a term for a vent. BiPAP has a copyrite. perhaps legally bipap is a different word and can be used differently. maybe that's what is confusing about it. that's my fly in the ointment story and i'm sticking to it.

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,849 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,886 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,526 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.