Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea Acronyms
RE: Apnea Acronyms
BiPAP is simply a trade name for Respironics BPAP (Bi-level) machines.

Your BiPAP machine is a BPAP (Bi-level).
[Just like saying your Kleenex is also bathroom tissue.]

Someone else's non-Respironics BPAP (Bi-level) machine cannot correctly be called BiPAP, however, since that term applies only to Respironics machines.
[Just like it would incorrect to call non-Kimberly Clark bathroom tissue "Kleenex".

But that doesn't stop people from using the BiPAP term incorrectly all over the place.
And that doesn't stop people from calling non-Kimberly Clark bathroom tissue "Kleenex".

Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(banging my head on the desk, getting sdfghj stamped into my forehead)

The acronym list will link to the appropriate page. I will leave it up to whoever does that page (and you can bet your sweet bippy I won't touch the BiPAP/BPAP page!) to discuss the confusion. Because clearly, there is a lot of it when it comes to this!

This is the current wording:

Quote:Bi-Flex - Respironic's name for exhalation pressure relief for BiPAP
BiPAP - bi-level machine made by Respironics
BPAP - bilevel positive airway pressure; not to be confused with BiPAP

Is it close enough for the acronym page? Granted, people will go there to determine the difference. I hate it when the dictionary says stuff like

Sleep - the act of sleeping (see sleeping)
Sleeping - going to sleep (see sleep)

Which tells me diddly squat. So I want these acronyms to be clear.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 09:04 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: BiPAP is simply a trade name for Respironics BPAP (Bi-level) machines.

Your BiPAP machine is a BPAP (Bi-level).
[Just like saying your Kleenex is also bathroom tissue.]

Someone else's non-Respironics BPAP (Bi-level) machine cannot correctly be called BiPAP, however, since that term applies only to Respironics machines.
[Just like it would incorrect to call non-Kimberly Clark bathroom tissue "Kleenex".

But that doesn't stop people from using the BiPAP term incorrectly all over the place.
And that doesn't stop people from calling non-Kimberly Clark bathroom tissue "Kleenex".

Too-funny

now i'm confused. you're saying my m series cpap that is definitely single pressure is bi-level or bipap? is bi-level not 2 pressures?
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 09:21 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: now i'm confused. you're saying my m series cpap that is definitely single pressure is bi-level or bipap? is bi-level not 2 pressures?

No, never said that... not sure where you got that from.... Huh

EDIT: take a look at Respironics page on BiPAP machines here:

http://bipap.respironics.com/

All of the machines listed as BiPAP are in fact Bi-level machines (BPAP). If your machine has a BiPAP sticker on the bottom and it's clearly a REMstar Plus M series, it's not a bi-level machine... could be that sticker was put on there in error. edit again: never mind this part - read my post below)...

If it's a Bi-level machine, it would be called BiPAP Plus, not REMstar Plus.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 09:29 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(04-13-2012, 09:21 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: now i'm confused. you're saying my m series cpap that is definitely single pressure is bi-level or bipap? is bi-level not 2 pressures?

No, never said that... not sure where you got that from.... Huh
when you said Your BiPAP machine is a BPAP (Bi-level), i thought you were saying my bipap is a bpap bi-level.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Bill, on the bottom part of your M series machine, I'm pretty sure that's just a listing of the two major categories of the Repironics lines of M series machines.... there are two of them: REMstar and BiPAP, both of which are trademark names (see the small circled 'R' after each of those trade names).

Both the REMstar Plus M series and the BiPAP Plus series use the exact same chassis... if you looked on the bottom label of a BiPAP Plus or BiPAP Auto M series, they'd have that same label on the bottom. (same as your REMstar Plus M).

It's the top white sticker (on the bottom of the machine) which identifies which machine you have, and that clearly lists it as "REMstar Plus M" series.

So, no your machine is not a BiPAP.

Sorry for the confusion.
Smile

See this attached photo: (click to expand):

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 09:40 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Bill, on the bottom part of your M series machine, I'm pretty sure that's just a listing of the two major categories of the Repironics lines of M series machines.... there are two of them: REMstar and BiPAP, both of which are trademark names (see the small circled 'R' after each of those trade names).

Both the REMstar Plus M series and the BiPAP Plus series use the exact same chassis... if you looked on the bottom label of a BiPAP Plus or BiPAP Auto M series, they'd have that same label on the bottom. (same as your REMstar Plus M).

It's the top white sticker (on the bottom of the machine) which identifies which machine you have, and that clearly lists it as "REMstar Plus M" series.

So, no your machine is not a BiPAP.

Sorry for the confusion.
Smile

that makes the most sense. because anybody could have one of these. it might not be a bad idea to make a note of that in the wiki, that respironics used the same label on both machines. then again maybe too much info. the more i learned, the more i thought it was mis-labeled. now i see it's a dual purpose label. thanks. mystery solved.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 09:29 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: EDIT: take a look at Respironics page on BiPAP machines here:

http://bipap.respironics.com/

My PRS1 BiPAP Pro is not shown there. I guess it's not a complete list of all the Respironics BiPAP's.

I think at least part of the confusion is caused by the fact that bilevel machines have two separate purposes. Some are used in hospitals as ventilators, some are used in homes to treat sleep apnea.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 09:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I think at least part of the confusion is caused by the fact that bilevel machines have two separate purposes. Some are used in hospitals as ventilators, some are used in homes to treat sleep apnea.

Those machines on that old webpage are pure Respironics machines... (before Respironics was bought out by Philips' Healthcare division).

The pre-2007 and M Series machines were Respironics machines.

The newer 2010-11 machines are Philips-Respironics machines, and labeled with the prefix of "PR".

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 04:59 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: For those of you who have the SleepyHead software and ResScan, what acronyms are used? And what do they mean?

Paula: I use both Sleepyhead and ResScan and can't really think of anything else that isn't already on the list. If you want to be technically correct, officially Resmed's definition of EPR according to my manual is Expiratory Pressure Relief rather than Exhale (although Exhale my be easier for people to understand).
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,400 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,852 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,897 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,529 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.