Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea More Severe; Prescribed Pressure Decreased
RE: Apnea More Severe; Prescribed Pressure Decreased
(07-15-2017, 10:29 AM)robysue Wrote: fwg1947,

You said you were going to bump the pressure on the new machine back up to what you were using on the old machine last night.  What do last night's numbers look like?

The AHI is much better, down to 0.86 compared to 5.34 for night before last (the last night with pressure set at 7). 

There is a discrepancy between the SleepyHead report and Encore Pro concerning leaks.  Sleepyhead reports 'Time Over Leak Redline' of 9.798%, but Encore Pro and DreamMapper.com report zero large leaks and 100% Mask Fit.  I don't know which is correct or whether this is something to be concerned about.

Most of my Daily Reports are showing periods of Periodic Breathing, but I don't know if this is something to be concerned about.

Here is the Daily Chart for 7/14/17, the first night with pressure increased from 7 to 9, and the best night I have had since starting on the new CPAP machine on 5/31/17:
http://imgur.com/zWtZytr

[img][Image: zWtZytrl.png][/img]

Here is the chart for 6/27/17, at altitude > 7000 ft.  This was the worst night I have had since starting on the new CPAP machine on 5/31/17:
http://imgur.com/v5JiUCH

[img][Image: v5JiUCHl.png][/img]
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally, I'd say that 7 is too low for any adult... that level is barely theraputic, but coupled with your high CAs I'd be concerned that you have complex apnea and may need an ASV machine.

But you saw improvement at 9... while higher pressure often causes CA to increase, you're looking ok there.
Personally, I'd bump that to 10 or 11 and bring the EPAP up to 9 (it is the EPAP that supports the tissues during exhalation).

Interesting that you had such a dramatic change with elevation... mine changed very little (actually improved) on vacation in Las Cruces, Austin, Amarillo, and Flagstaff.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
you certainly don't like altitude. are you self funded or on insurance with limited copay? The odds are you are going to need an ASV or full ST vaps ventilator at altitude. Your tidal volume is down, it may be because of a nasal mask and leaks, but it needs to be sorted, as to the cause. a COPD or obesity?

When you are on the flats, I'd add 1cm to the pressure for the snores and see how it goes.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2017, 01:08 PM)fwg1947 Wrote: There is a discrepancy between the SleepyHead report and Encore Pro concerning leaks.  Sleepyhead reports 'Time Over Leak Redline' of 9.798%, but Encore Pro and DreamMapper.com report zero large leaks and 100% Mask Fit.  I don't know which is correct or whether this is something to be concerned about.
The SleepyHead "Time Over Leak Redline" is from Resmed's definition that an official Large Leak is any unintentional leak that is above 24 L/min.  The PR machines do NOT calculate Large Leaks in the same fashion and I would just discard the SH "Time Over Leak Redline" number. The SH Leak number that would correspond to a number on the Encore Report is the Large Leak % that is in the daily summary data; it is usually between the line for Periodic Breathing (or CSR) and the line for CAI.  That Large Leak % is based directly on the data that is flagged by your PR machine as an official Large Leak.

Quote:Most of my Daily Reports are showing periods of Periodic Breathing, but I don't know if this is something to be concerned about.
How much PB?  And do you have any history of heart disease?

Quote:Here is the chart for 6/27/17, at altitude > 7000 ft.  This was the worst night I have had since starting on the new CPAP machine on 5/31/17:
http://imgur.com/v5JiUCH
Given that you do not LIVE at this altitude, I don't think you are going to qualify for an ASV machine: At 9cm when you are at the altitude that you live, your apnea is well controlled.

However, since you do regularly visit family living at high altitude, you ought to show your sleep doc the data recorded at high altitude on this trip and ask him what, if anything, you should consider doing when you are visiting family who live at high altitude.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2017, 06:37 PM)CB91710 Wrote: Normally, I'd say that 7 is too low for any adult... that level is barely theraputic,
Please don't assume that everybody is uncomfortable at very low pressures. In my case if my EPAP is at 7 all night, I wake up with what feels like a basketball in my stomach and in severe pain from the aerophagia.

Indeed, I barely tolerate long periods of my EPAP being at 6 (my max EPAP) without it triggering aerophagia disturbances to my sleep. And I'm far more comfortable getting to sleep at 6/4, 7/4 or 8/4 than I am at getting to sleep at even 8/5 or 8/6.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:
Quote:Most of my Daily Reports are showing periods of Periodic Breathing, but I don't know if this is something to be concerned about.
How much PB?  And do you have any history of heart disease?

Robysue,

The SleepyHead Periodic Breathing Overview Chart for the past 46 days shows minimum PB 0.00%; median PB 3.78%, and maximum PB 38.03%.  The highest numbers were at high altitude, but I have varying amounts on a regular basis at home, usually between 1% and 10%.  For example, 3 nights ago it was 1.11%; night before last it was 7.59%, and last night it was 3.44%.

I do not have a history of heart disease.  Cardiac problems were suspected in 2015 due to symptoms later determined to be non-cardiac related.  At that time I had EKG, echocardiogram, stress test and heart catheterization.  The conclusion from all those diagnostic procedures was "minimal coronary artery disease" and no cardiac treatment was performed.
Post Reply Post Reply
fwg1947,

Given that you don't have a history of congestive heart failure, my guess is the PB at home is nothing to worry about, but it is something you might want to mention it to the sleep doc the next time you see him/her.

The night at high altitude with 38.03% PB was probably on a night when your CAI was also through the roof.  Clearly there was something in the combination of being at high altitude and at 9cm of pressure that messed badly with your body's CO2 regulation.  Hopefully it was something that can be managed by NOT increasing the pressure on your machine the next time you are at high altitude.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1
some PB is perfectly normal.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks robysue, ajack, CB91710, bonjour and Sleeprider for all the information and advice.  I feel like I have a much better sense of what to watch for and how to evaluate the SleepyHead charts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 489 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,776 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.