Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea VS Atlas
RE: Apnea VS Atlas
(05-08-2017, 03:50 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: What the paper indicates is that there is a bunch of nerves which pass through or around the atlas which control the muscles in the neck. If these nerves were being impinged then it's conceivable they are not properly maintaining the tone of the neck muscles - this could perhaps be the source of the problem.

This is what I'd suspect...to get any vertebrae misaligned enough to obstruct directly probably means a broken neck and far worse health impacts.

That said, it doesn't take much impingement to cause a disruption.... look at how much a "krick in the neck" can do to how we sit, stand, sleep and walk. I would not be surprised in the slightest to find that a subluxation that high up could interfere with some of the involuntary muscle control and contribute to higher AHI.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BrassCat,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thanks for sharing this , very interesting.

Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello the Forum,

Thanks for the responses. My error, the article is discussing subluxation of the atlas and other upper vertebrae effects on the nerves. Got another adjustment today, interested to see the AHI tomorrow morning.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2017, 10:08 PM)BrassCat Wrote: Hello the Forum,

Thanks for the responses. My error, the article is discussing subluxation of the atlas and other upper vertebrae effects on the nerves. Got another adjustment today, interested to see the AHI tomorrow morning.

Stan

So would I as I have had neck issues in the past. A couple of the medical treatises I read indicated that it's not only the axis that is involved. What I do find interesting is that the research is robust and generally accepted as fact by the medicos. Maybe a visit to my physio is required though an xray first would help. My brother is a physio and I'll contact him about this research.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,396 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,891 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,526 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.