Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea and ADD?
Apnea and ADD?
Feeling scattered too often, and having some short term memory problems.

For instance I may be on the computer and accessing a website. The computer is taking a while to access, so I open another window and play a game of solitaire 'while waiting.' Sometimes as much as 30 minutes pass and I have forgotten I was waiting for the website to open.

Or I may go out in the garage to get something from the car. While I am walking, I may notice a tool that is not where it should be, so I put it away. The notice something else that I feel needs doing and tell myself, "I better go ahead and do this before I forget about it."

Then something else attracts my attention and I go do it. I may be shuffling things for an hour or more when my wife comes out and asks me if I got whatever it was from the car.

We manage a large real estate portfolio and need, often, to be on top of things. I feel a fear that I may miss something important, that something may "fall through the cracks".

I have panic attacks sometimes at night as I have mentioned in another post. I can afford medical, psychiatric, technology if it will help.

It seems that my short term memory is volatile and when I switch tasks, I lose touch with the previous task unless I make an effort to impress my memory.

For instance I often lose my car keys. I am thinking about somethng else and put them down. However if I say to myself, "I am putting the car keys on the coffee table, I don't ever lose them.

Would sure appreciate some help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea and ADD?
Hi Bill - I just replied to your other post, and this one sort of confirms some thoughts I had there. You're in a high stress occupation and you have sleep apnea which is known to cause problems with concentration. I suspect you're putting all your energy into performing to a high level at work, then your mind and body go into a type of relaxation state at home.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2014, 04:01 AM)Caddyshack Wrote: Would sure appreciate some help.
Talk to your doctor
How you describe your sleep quality? lack of quality sleep can cause concentration problems among other things

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2014, 04:21 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Bill - I just replied to your other post, and this one sort of confirms some thoughts I had there. You're in a high stress occupation and you have sleep apnea which is known to cause problems with concentration. I suspect you're putting all your energy into performing to a high level at work, then your mind and body go into a type of relaxation state at home.

Thanks, Paul, but not really a high stress occupation. We do managed a large real estate portfolio, but most of the tenants are long term and we have few problems that cannot be handled by sub-contractors, attorneys and the tenants themselves.

My health and my wife's health is excellent. I am 70 and she is 67. We are very active and having fun every day.

Most of the time I play with old Cadillacs, and this is a lot of fun!! We particularly love the 1958 vintage.

As Zonk also replied. I am making an appointment with the Sleep Doc today to see what he can find and I really appreciate your advice to check the CPAP for any events clustered around the wake-up times.

When I finish breakfast, and adjust the brakes on our 1958 Cadillac Imperial Fleetwood Sedan Limousine, I'll look into this. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to avoid confusion, Bill's two user accounts have been merged together. His old Caddyshack username is no longer valid. His username is now Dolla Bill and his post-count has been transferred over from our old zetaboards forum.

I also spit off the discussion of Bill's Cadillac into a separate thread in the Off-Topic forum, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...8-Cadillac

Feel free to carry on the Cadillac discussion there, and use this thread for the apnea/ADD discussion.

Thanks everyone.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Bill, your posts have got me thinking.. And btw, I posted a bit of a rambling response to your other thread pertaining to similar issues. Just some of my thoughts based on my own experience with stress and the medications that can help remedy it. But back to my main point.. I was thinking recently that I have a touch of the ADD, with my short term memory being shot these days. But, on the other hand, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea over two years ago, and only really just got rolling with the CPAP. Maybe my memory problems are just related to being sleep deprived for way too long. Both me and my doctor suspect my sleep apnea was existent for years before my diagnosis. I am hoping that being compliant with my CPAP use sharpens up my memory soon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 766 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,031 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,488 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,628 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,882 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,935 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,585 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.