Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea and Weight LossI
Apnea and Weight LossI
I have been using Cpap therapy for a year. I have been trying to get my weight under control and have lost 50 lbs so far.  Now my pressure seems to high,  I use a nasal mask and can’t control my my mouth breathing.  Could there be a correlat Ion.  I had my mouth breathing under control before

I tried a full face mask but the pressure sensation was worse
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea and Weight LossI
Does weight loss result in need for lower pressure? Yes.

It is also possible that the weight loss in your face and head means you may have the wrong size mask which is resulting in you opening your mouth. You may also feel more comfortable laying on your back which leads to opening your mouth.

But if you are mouth leaking, your pressure settings or AHI data is kinda useless. You need to get that under control. You can try a chin strap. And foam cervical collars are all the rage it seems. Or you could go with a full face mask and not worry about it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I lost 60lbs and my minimum pressure dropped down from 21cm to 10cm. So yeah it makes a difference. Start dropping down your pressure little by little. When you see an increase in events than you know you've gone too far.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've started my weight loss and have lost 6 so far. Slow is good! My plan is to re-evaluate the pressure needs for every 20 pounds.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found most of the changes came in the first 4 months. At least for me the weight came off first around my face and neck area. After that the pressures leveled off.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2018, 08:54 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I lost 60lbs and my minimum pressure dropped down from 21cm to 10cm. So yeah it makes a difference. Start dropping down your pressure little by little. When you see an increase in events than you know you've gone too far.

Walla2, your spec says you joined in August(?) last year but I wonder if you've been using PAP for longer. Only asking cos my weight loss was good ( 7 kg noted at my annual review) but has since plateau-ed  and I am wondering if it is cos I have only been 'at it' for a year.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 01:34 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 08:54 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I lost 60lbs and my minimum pressure dropped down from 21cm to 10cm. So yeah it makes a difference. Start dropping down your pressure little by little. When you see an increase in events than you know you've gone too far.

Walla2, your spec says you joined in August(?) last year but I wonder if you've been using PAP for longer. Only asking cos my weight loss was good ( 7 kg noted at my annual review) but has since plateau-ed  and I am wondering if it is cos I have only been 'at it' for a year.

No I started last June. CPAP didn't help me lose weight. If anything it helped cause me to gain weight. There's no magic to what I'm doing to lose. Counting calories and working out on cardio and some weight training. I'm not a diet expert but from what I've read there's a lot of reasons for weight loss to stop. One is the body adjusts to starvation mode if you cut back too much. Another is you've lost enough weight to where your body doesn't need as many calories. To fix that you can workout or cut your calories some more.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 271 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 694 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.