Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea clusters - cause?
Apnea clusters - cause?
I am attaching some screenshots from a session last night.  My normal setup is a Resmed machine (previously S9 and now A10) with a nasal mask (Mirage Activa LT). For some years this has given me reasonable results (AHI normally below 1, sometimes 0) but with some large leaks. On moving to the A10 I noticed that the pressures where higher, as were the leaks.  It was suggested that I try a full face mask there was some evidence that the leaks were due to me opening my mouth during the therapy.

These pictures were from a session with a Fisher & Paykel viterra full face mask and used with my second CPAP  -- a Philips Respironic travel machine.  On the previous night I had used the Resmed A10 with similar results - I chose this screenshot as it showed the problem more clearly (the Resmed run had more leaks which might confuse the picture a bit). Note the incredible number of Apneas that have occurred in a fairly short timespan.  Last week I did another test with an Resmed F20 mask and got a similar cluster but that one was in a large leak event and hence were reported as unknown type apneas.

I have never had massive apnea clusters before. Normally they occur in ones or twos - never in a cluster over close to an hour.  I definitely had a terrible night!! 

Why should a change to a full face mask cause issues like this?  I found it very disturbing. Any help in working out what is happening would be very mach appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Apnea clusters - cause?
G'day elliotg. Clusters like that are usually caused by poor sleeping posture - in particular tucking the chin down to the chest and causing compression on the wind-pipe. If it's come on suddenly, there may be a cause such as a new mattress or pillow, perhaps sleeping on your back rather than your side, etc. I think it's unlikely the mask has caused it.

There's a very detailed write-up of the condition here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea and here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Post Reply Post Reply
In early 2014 I had already lost a lot of weight and did a sleep study. I still had sleep apnea, but I aced it.

Before I even got my sleep report, my numbers went bonkers with clusters of long duration OA’s. I stumbled onto a suggestion that a cervical collar can help keep an airway open based on a theory that the neck is tilted back for CPR. Had never heard of chin tucking back then.

I tried one and it solved the problem with clusters. I can only guess that losing the weight caused it, but it just happened out of nowhere.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
These suggestions seem very helpful.. I will get a collar and give it a go!

Elliot
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 216 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Interpreting OSCAR, Clusters of Central Apnea letsrun100 61 3,308 11-11-2020, 06:21 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  OA Clusters Dave77 5 5,291 09-06-2020, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Dave77
  Can Clear Airway Apnea not be Central Apnea? tomko44 18 11,442 01-21-2020, 05:05 PM
Last Post: sleepyp
  How to find Central Apnea events in OSCAR? [Treatment of central apnea] GaspForAir 38 2,839 12-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Apnea clusters stillaliveca 20 1,453 02-17-2019, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Early night OA clusters true events, or awake breathing? ColoradoMom 4 741 01-25-2019, 07:48 PM
Last Post: ColoradoMom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.